Salt Bar HELP!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chlobue

Reaction score
Hi soapers, I have a few questions about Paul's famous salt Bar recipe. I want to try a small test batch in my TOG Mold.If it's a 1pound mold and I add salt to my oils won't it be too much for the mold? Paul, you say to use a 31% lye solution. I understand 31% lye and 69% liquid. But 31% is how much? Is it 31% of total oils or what!!!
I'm so confused about the lye and liquid "stuff" When I ran the recipe through calculator I got 2.52 lye, 6.08 liquid.
All this math is driving me crazy!!!
Hope somebody can HELP me.
Thanks in advance :oops: :oops: :oops:

In the salt bars, for the first time you make them, do not take any liquids discount. The addition of salt really speeds the time you have too work with the batter down. It is easy to get soap-on-a-stick scenario. A 38% lye concentration is what I would suggest. Go to soapcalc [url="http://www.soapcalc...."]http://www.soapcalc.com/calc/soapcalcWP.asp[/url] and put your solution strength in at their default setting which is 38%, and then your oils in the percentages, then hit calculate. Make your lye solution by adding the specified amount of lye the calculator calls for, to the specified amount of liquids, this will be a 38% lye strength solution.

If you still need help, just ask and I'll try to explain more in depth....

Paul :wink:

salt bar HELP

Thanks for the info, Paul. I will use the default setting. As far as volume goes will 16 ounces ofoil and 10.8 of salt overflow my Mini TOG Mold

salt bar HELP

Thanks for the info, Paul. I will use the default setting. As far as volume goes will 16 ounces ofoil and 10.8 of salt overflow my Mini TOG Mold

Re: salt bar HELP

chlobue said:

Oh yea! I would figure using 12 ounces of oils and 9 ounces of salt for your TOG Mini Mold. This should work out perfect for this mold!

Paul :wink:

Latest posts

Back