Salt bar for a dog??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rparrny

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has experience with using a salt bar to bathe a dog?
My salt bars are cured now and pretty soon Vegas will be out and swimming...and there is nothing that smells worse than BAY DOG! My thought was that the simplicity of the bars would be a good fit, but I know dogs require a different pH and wondering if a salt bar would be too harsh. I did some research and found a soap for dogs should have a pH around 7...not sure what my bar is...90% coconut 10% shea and salt.
Ah Deeanna I KNOW you have an answer...

Last edited:
I have on Max - hes in salt water all the time, and salt soap does have a 20% superfat. But I am careful to rinse very well and then rinse with a dilute apple cider vinegar solution after. And some conditioner sometimes. But he has zero skin conditions and no sensitivities (other than his great big heart).

Sometimes when the sealion poop gets too tempting he sneaks off and rolls in it - there's really no other solution than a minty salt bar....

I have on Max - hes in salt water all the time, and salt soap does have a 20% superfat. But I am careful to rinse very well and then rinse with a dilute apple cider vinegar solution after. And some conditioner sometimes. But he has zero skin conditions and no sensitivities (other than his great big heart).

Sometimes when the sealion poop gets too tempting he sneaks off and rolls in it - there's really no other solution than a minty salt bar....
YUCKY!! yep, fishy poop is probably hard to resist... :lolno: I cannot see how a salt bar would be to harsh, when some dogs swim daily in the salt water. We had a boat neighbor who had a doggie that would not stay out of the harbor. He even had a ladder built so he could get back in the boat

Oh, dear, sea lion poop, fish poop, stinky frog bits -- what's next? My country dogs live in landlocked Iowa, but they are just as resourceful as your sea dogs. They find long-dead deer bits, hog sh*t when my farmer neighbor pumps his manure pits, and stinky creek mud to wallow in. When all else fails, they roll in the horse manure ... after eating the choice bits first, of course. Yeah, it can be TMI for me too. Oh, and once in a very long while they'll come home reeking of Eau de Skunk, which is a whole other story.

I use whatever comes closest to hand when my crew need to be washed up, and I'd use a salt bar without hesitation. Any soap bar, whether salt or not, will have an alkaline pH, but I'm truly not worried about using lye soap on them occasionally. My crew don't get bathed more than once every few months and none of them have skin problems. If they got bathed once a week, that might be a different matter.

YUCKY!! yep, fishy poop is probably hard to resist... :lolno: I cannot see how a salt bar would be to harsh, when some dogs swim daily in the salt water. We had a boat neighbor who had a doggie that would not stay out of the harbor. He even had a ladder built so he could get back in the boat

Actually that's a good point - Max's coat is never shinier than when hes dunking in salt water a few times a week. I don't even rinse him most of the time, because hes dry be the time we get home. Seems to keep the itchies away too.

My country dogs live in landlocked Iowa, but they are just as resourceful as your sea dogs. They find long-dead deer bits

Oh, the rotting deer bits. Plentiful they are! My dog, too, is romanced by the irresistible aroma of death.

It's one of the main reasons she is no longer allowed off leash at the acreage we live on. Those deer bits are often close to the highway and she's kind of a dummy about staying out of traffic.

Latest posts

Back