Salt Bar Blues

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you use pink himalayan salt? If so, that would definitely be a problem. It may say "extra fine" on the packaging but in soap, it's a LIE!!!

Thanks for stating that. Since i'm STILL SICK. I have not had a chance to make chili and cornbread like I wanted.

That would be it. I did indeed use the Himalayan salt. I really love how it feels though. Not too harsh at all for me. Just the soap leaves me very dry and tight.

With your description I think you may actually have a coconut allergy, if the straight un-saponified coconut makes your skin feel that way. Have you tried palm kernel or babassu?

Babassu oil is a pricey one but it is deceptively more gentle than coconut. It's really nice. As for palm kernel oil, beware of the flakes- you need to use less of that than the oil itself. I personally have to cap PKO flakes at 10%.

I also get what you're saying about high coconut oil soap- my skin hates it without the salt and tolerates it better with salt.

Back