Salt additives for M & P

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guy

Reaction score
I may have asked this already,

I originally put in haphazardly some pure Epsom salt, ( soaking solution ) into my first batch of M & P,

could that have caused it to turn into a non drying gooey sticky mess, or could it of been the type of Essential Oil I was using, not to mention... not weighing either of it when adding.

Is it a safe bet that Melt and Pour soap is fickle and anything added has to be measured out accordingly ..

I was hoping the salt would add a scrubbing texture and fragrance , had no clue what i was doing at the time.

Anyhow I do have a book now that a member from here suggested and look forward to trying some recipes for an up coming art show, just curious as to why i had such a gooey mess and i dont wana repeat it.

more over, how full proof are these M & P recipes ? I am a bit nervous that something is going to go wrong when I can really afford to blow things up like i did my first go around.

Yes, it wss the epsom salt that messed it up. Epsom is magnesium and that doesn't play well with soap.

M&P is fairly easy to use. Try SoapQueen TV on YouTube for some good tutorials or the Soap Queen blog.

Thank you for sharing this incident with us so that others can learn from it. I've found that adding a small amount of Pink Himalayan salt to the soap base is a very nice additive. However, I only add up to 1 Tablespoon per pound of soap base.

Thank you for sharing this incident with us so that others can learn from it. I've found that adding a small amount of Pink Himalayan salt to the soap base is a very nice additive. However, I only add up to 1 Tablespoon per pound of soap base.

Yes my big lesson I learned, don't be in a rush, and don't just toss in anything. I got disgusted tossed it all, said the end and moved on. I new better but I am a crash test dummy and that is how I learn. The Hard way.

But I do learn, an now I have a easy to follow M&P recipe book, which, hopefully if I follow to the letter, should be fine.

I hope to make some decent batches for a small art festival , really small , in October. wont be charging much for em , just enough to make a profit an test things out.

Guy, just make sure you test those soaps before you sell them. Even if they are MP, if you are adding other ingredients, you want to be sure what you make is good. So until you have been doing this for a good while, keep back at least one small tester bar from each batch to personally test yourself. Keeping the Epsom salts debacle at the back of your mind, might help you remember why you are testing from each batch.

I'd also suggest taking notes for each batch of soap you make. Note the date, amount of soap, amount of additives, type of fragrance and where you bought it, the mold you used, how long it melted, and anything else you observe.

Latest posts

Back