Saké mistaké

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derpina Bubbles

Reaction score
Not sure where I meant wrong on this one :confused:. I made 2 batches at the same time with sake as the water replacement. Mixed up the main batch, all was good, then split it into 2 bowls ready. I noticed when I was pouring it that the batter was bubbling a bit, kind of popping. The 1st bowl when I went to use it, which is this one that is all weird, was still bubbling a bit. Warning sign #1 I guess. I went ahead and added the FO and split the batch again into 3 colours and poured.

The 2nd bowl had no bubbling or popping by the time I got to it and the soap made with it appears normal.

Ok so big problem with the 1st lot is a lot of nasty looking sections down the sides and on the bottom that I hope aren't lye. I'm hoping it's a bit of ricing. The log is also slightly oily, which makes me more worried that the yuck bits are lye.

No I haven't licked it yet. It's way too fresh and I'm a big chicken. I'll wait a day or 2.

I did boil off the alcohol and the solution was cold. Scratching my thick head here. Same main batch, 2 different results.

sake mistake.jpg

Gorgeous swirls in the one on the right!

Did you boil the sake until you were sure the alcohol was evaporated? Sake is high in sugar, so it may have still been reacting with the lye.

Thanks and yep, definitely boiled it off then lit it for good measure. I then left it in the fridge for over a week before I had time to soap it.

Back