Sages: clary, dalmatian, spanish..?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

szaza

Reaction score
There have been some threads on here about green EO blends (grass, tea..) and one ingredient that keeps coming back is clary sage. Unfortunately it's outside of the price range of EO's I'd be willing to use for soap. Is there an alternative? Dalmatian and Spanish sage are both 1/3-1/2 of the price of clary sage, but seem to be described as more herbal than fresh, but I've never smelled any of them. Does anyone have experience with them and can tell me the difference between clary/dalmatian/spanish sage and if they could serve in a 'green' EO blend?

Dalmation Sage is the only one I have (cheapest for me) and it smells just like the Dalmation Sage in my garden. Which is to say, wonderful, but every once in a while I think I smell dog pee or DH working up a sweat - it has something in it that I think of as pheremone-y B.O. like really strong pits. Which is ok diluted with other EOs haha. I think it has a much lower usage rate than the other sages.

ETA: That sounds like a bad review but I really do like it. Try for yourself :)

Dalmatian is the cheapest for me as well. I think I'll order small test bottles of dalmatian and Spanish sage (once I order again) to see which I like best.

@szaza if you happen to pop in... did you try the sages and if so, what did you think? I‘m thinking of buying a very small amount of clary sage to try in lotion, but I’m wondering if one of the others would be nice for soap If I can find it for a reasonable price.

Sorry, no.. I haven't ordered any of the sages yet. With the current amount of soaping I do (=none) it might take a while before I order again.

Back