Saga of Mom Continues...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I finally flipped the switch after months of soul searching and sent the paperwork to my Attorney to file the convertorship paperwork for mom. Hopefully, it will be file asap.

My step- sister decided it was okay to use my Mother's money to pay for her 2 daughters, 4 grandchildren, and a babysitter to fly to CA then pay for a Carnival Cruise for all of them herself and take my mom on a Carnival Cruise to Mexico. We will just see about that. How irresponsible is it to take a 93 yr old with congestive heart failure who is also subject to seasickness and has mobility issues. According to my cousin that talked to my step my mom's black eye was from a fall on the ship and my mom told me she was in bed the entire time sick. Sadly my mom does not realize she even paid for the trip, she keeps telling me they all paid for their own tickets. Nope, I have the bank statements.

I have put up with all this long enough with my step and I am heading to talk to the DA tomorrow or Friday about filing criminal charges against her. The amount of money she spent on moms is actually a felony 1 if they will pursue it. I am done with trying APS (Adult Protection) we know what she does there, she runs with mom and files restraining orders. Hopefully, I will finally be able to "Rock Her World," big time. This all came about after a long conversation with my former boat neighbor from Vegas that is well know in the town and a big Advocate for Elder Abuse. In the last 3 years, she has helped put several people in jail for this type of behavior including an attorney that was sentenced to 40 years in jail. She is not a lady to mess with even at 86 yrs old! My friend's husband was President of the Steel Workers Union in Vegas and she had Cadillac Dealerships. Very connected. Off the point. I was awake almost all night, running this through my mind, after about 2 hrs sleep got I up for market, she called me and I told her yes I am going to try to file charges. My husband also told me good it needs to be done. We will see.

I agree with your husband - it needs to be done. I know this isn't a decision you arrived at lightly, and I hope you can finally get the outcome you need both for you and your mom. This has to be heart breaking for you, and I wish you the best.

Good for you Carolyn! It's sad that things have had to come to this, but your sis's reckless, parasitic behavior calls for drastic measures. I'll be praying all goes in the favor of you and your mom, and that your mom and her finances will finally be protected from such brazen, depraved thievery.

IrishLass :)

Thank you IL, I have had such a hard time coming to terms doing this. But the Cruise was the absolute straw that, "broke the camel's back,". I am just not a vengeful person and it really hurts what my step has turned into. It just saddens me to my core. I found out about the Cruise on FB. You just have to love Social Media

Good for you Carolyn, it sounds like time for you to show her what you're made of to protect you poor mom. I keep you and your mom in my prayers for this to be settled in your favor for you and your mom. Stay strong! You've got a lot of people pulling for you.

It's really sad when stuff like this happens but thank goodness you're there to look out for your mother. And it's actually good that she thinks that everyone paid for themselves because any attempt by your step to claim "it was a gift and she knew" is blown right out the window with that. I'm rooting for you here!

This all came about after a long conversation with my former boat neighbor from Vegas that is well know in the town and a big Advocate for Elder Abuse. In the last 3 years, she has helped put several people in jail for this type of behavior including an attorney that was sentenced to 40 years in jail. She is not a lady to mess with even at 86 yrs old! ... she called me and I told her yes I am going to try to file charges. My husband also told me good it needs to be done.
You have my long-distance support as well, Carolyn. You're a good daughter. Enough is enough, IMHO.

Well, I failed again. She is like the energizer bunny and just keeps going and going. My attorney is afraid for me to file another APS since past history shows she will run to Arizona and we do not want to fight this there. Been there and done that with the Order of Protection. So the next recourse is to pray I get the conservatorship of mom then sure her in a civil case for the money she has taken.

You didn't fail @cmzaha. The system failed you. Rise up and keep going! We're cheering for you!
Good Post.gif

I finally flipped the switch after months of soul searching and sent the paperwork to my Attorney to file the convertorship paperwork for mom. Hopefully, it will be file asap.

As long as your mother doesn't have an cognitive issues and her doctor can access her, get a Full Power of Attorney to handle your mother's affairs. When my father was diagnosed with terminal cancer, he gave me Full PoA and Medical PoA. I then filed certified copies with his financial institutions, Social Security, Medicare, his doctors, etc.

@Gecko my mom's Trust does not allow for a Power of Attorney over her estate and all her accounts and properties are in the trust. This is where the problems arise. I have had a Durable Power of Attorney for over a year but it is somewhat useless in her case. Medical POA I have had since the trust was first drawn up and my sister talked my parents into adding her a few onto the Directive a few years back. This is much much uglier than just filing a POA with agencies, unfortunately. My mom does have cognitive issues and dementia on top of everything else, but she can still sign her name to checks, she might not write them, but she signs them.

@Gecko my mom's Trust does not allow for a Power of Attorney over her estate and all her accounts and properties are in the trust. This is where the problems arise. I have had a Durable Power of Attorney for over a year but it is somewhat useless in her case. Medical POA I have had since the trust was first drawn up and my sister talked my parents into adding her a few onto the Directive a few years back. This is much much uglier than just filing a POA with agencies, unfortunately. My mom does have cognitive issues and dementia on top of everything else, but she can still sign her name to checks, she might not write them, but she signs them.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize there was a Trust involved.

Latest posts

Back