Safflower Oil Experience’s

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FragranceGuy

Reaction score
I’m curious what experience's you’ve had with using regular safflower oil (non high oleic). I’ve noticed that safflower oil has a more similar fatty acid profile to olive oil compared to most vegetable and seed oils. I’m not looking to replace OO, but rather supplement soft oils in a recipe to get a specific FA profile. I’m just curious about your experience’s. Does it make a perceivably softer soap? Anything I should know? Thanks!!

I don't fully get you. Regular (=HL) safflower oil is among the oils with the highest content of linoleic acid. Higher than regular sunflower, poppy seed or grapeseed – that are known to be sensitive “luxury oils” already. It would be a terrible replacement for olive oil, and I'd be very cautious to use it as a base oil for any type of bar soap.

Safflower oil is (similar to walnut or poppy seed oil) regularly used as a paint medium in oil paints (white and pale blue hues), because it is less yellow than linseed oil, but still dries up fairly quickly (in soapmaker's terms: becomes RANCID!!).

Not too long ago, I have in fact bought some refined HL safflower, exactly to lift linoleic levels in a recipe type that doesn't offer much flexibility in terms of soft oils. I'm reasonably paranoid about keeping it dark, cool, and undisturbed. I noticed that the half-empty bottle develops noticeable underpressure by just sitting, because the oil pulls oxygen out of the air.

HO safflower is something entirely different. I concur with @Obsidian that I prefer it over olive oil. I only rarely use it, though, because although it's low in PUFAs, it's not very low like HO sunflower or macadamia oil.

Thanks @Obsidian and @ResolvableOwl

What I was saying above is that I’m not trying to replace olive oil. I’m interested in using both OO and safflower in combination primarily because it raises the linoleic value in the calculator. I’m going for oleic values in the mid 30s and linoleic around 12-14 and OO alone isn’t cutting it. This chart is why I was comparing safflower to OO. I’m certain this chart is accurate because I found it on the internet 😆🤣 Seriously though, the above information that you guys shared is exactly why I asked. There seems to be better oils to achieve my goals.
6FAABE0D-E9AF-40AC-9363-3AFDFE781AD4.png

I’m certain this chart is accurate because I found it on the internet 😆🤣
Well, it is, but your Internet Source™ is definitely referring to HO safflower. Have a look at the Soapee oil database: Sat:Oleic:αLA:Linolenic = 7:77:0:15 (in 1% agreement with the numbers of your graph), while the HL safflower has 7:15:0:75.
Isn't it astonishing how radically ordinary conventional breeding can mess up the fatty acid profile of an oilseed?

(I'd love to reference to plantfadb.org for a shorter path to proper ad frontes research, but their website appears to be broken right now).

Latest posts

Back