Safflower and polynsaturated oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cascarral

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm exploring the option of tweaking my basic recipe by changing canola oil (20%) for organic safflower or sunflower. Since I'm looking for organic oils I know they'll be the low oleic version and I'm afraid they will go rancid pretty quickly and cause DOS.

For those of you who use these oils, what have been your experience? I'm not sure if I should try it out or not even consider it.

I have always used the high oleic safflower oil, it is my favorite by far. You could consider using EDTA to help prevent DOS and rancidity.
Thank you :) Do you get it in the supermarket? My problem with hih oleic is that I don't know where to get it that I know it'll be fresh

Thank you :) Do you get it in the supermarket? My problem with hih oleic is that I don't know where to get it that I know it'll be fresh
I have never found it in the super store. I buy it in bulk from soaperschoice.com it comes in 7 pound bottles but you can get it in smaller amounts from wholesale supplies plus or any of the other soap suppliers.

Why are you under impression that organic will be low oleic? I get high oleic organic sunflower oil from my local whole foods. Pro tip I found out on this forum; "If the monounsaturated fat is more than 50% of the total fat, then it's high oleic" just check the label.

Why are you under impression that organic will be low oleic? I get high oleic organic sunflower oil from my local whole foods. Pro tip I found out on this forum; "If the monounsaturated fat is more than 50% of the total fat, then it's high oleic" just check the label.
Hmmm good question! 😂 I guess because canola is naturally low oleic and I assumed high oleic would need to be GMO?

Hmmm good question! 😂 I guess because canola is naturally low oleic and I assumed high oleic would need to be GMO?
I'm pretty sure Canola is naturally high-Oleic, similar to Olive and Avocado oil. Safflower and Sunflower are naturally high-Linoleic, so for those it would matter whether it's the regular or high-Oleic version.
Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe normal versus high-Oleic is a matter of processing, hence why my local "Fresh and Natural Foods" stocks Organic Hydrogenated Coconut Oil (in multiple brands!) and organic high-Oleic sunflower if not Safflower oils as well. Organic isn't a major draw for me, so I just noticed enough to marvel at the selection and the absurd prices and move on.
Edited to add: there is also high-Oleic Canola oil, which is higher in Oleic fatty acids by 10%(approximately 71% verses 61%), but they both feature Oleic acid as the majority fatty acid.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Canola is naturally high-Oleic, similar to Olive and Avocado oil. Safflower and Sunflower are naturally high-Linoleic, so for those it would matter whether it's the regular or high-Oleic version.
Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe normal versus high-Oleic is a matter of processing, hence why my local "Fresh and Natural Foods" stocks Organic Hydrogenated Coconut Oil (in multiple brands!) and organic high-Oleic sunflower if not Safflower oils as well. Organic isn't a major draw for me, so I just noticed enough to marvel at the selection and the absurd prices and move on.
Edited to add: there is also high-Oleic Canola oil, which is higher in Oleic fatty acids by 10%(approximately 71% verses 61%), but they both feature Oleic acid as the majority fatty acid.

I have no idea actually jajaja, all this canola subject is confusing to me. But what you are saying makes sense :) I'm glad to know I can find some organic canola oil!

...normal versus high-Oleic is a matter of processing...

High oleic versus high linoleic oils are created by genetic differences in the plants, not how the oil is processed. Canola, safflower, and sunflower come in a range of oleic acid content.

There may be some genetically modified alterations in some varieties of plants to get a range of oleic acid content, but it's incorrect to assume this is always so. Differences in oleic acid content are also created by plain old-fashioned plant breeding.

To be honest, I have only seen Mid-high Oleic Canola at between 58-60% Oleic. I haven't seen the high linoleic Canola soapers have been talking about. I have to say though, my shopping experience is limited to Nigeria, UK and Canada

According to Soapcalc, there's a regular canola at 61% oleic acid and an HO type at 74%. The 74% version has about half the linoleic and linolenic content compared with regular canola. That would add a lot of shelf life. But I agree -- any fat at 61% oleic is a decently high oleic fat in my mind too.

Back