Safety regarding dogs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baileybars

Reaction score
Hello! I’ve just gotten into soap and made my second batch just a minute ago. I heard a tiny lye bead land on the floor, which panicked me a bit because I have a small puppy at home who has a tendency to taste everything he finds. I hoovered the kitchen and surrounding areas two or three times, but because the lye is so small I have no clue if it was hoovered up. Does anyone have a similar experience? How did you handle it? Would love some reassurance if possible!

I would mop the floor with a vinegar solution (I'm assuming it's a hard floor, correct?) including going around the edges. It would dissolve, dilute, and neutralize any lye you missed. If you don't have vinegar, water will also dissolve and dilute.

I'd clean thoroughly, but please don't obsess over a bead or two that might be lurking in the toe kick or other crevices. NaOH doesn't stay intact for long in the open air. It will react fairly quickly with carbon dioxide in the air to form washing soda (sodium carbonate) which is way less harmful. If you see a little white crusty spot on your floor in a few hours, that's probably where a lye bead turned itself into washing soda.

I'd clean thoroughly, but please don't obsess over a bead or two that might be lurking in the toe kick or other crevices. NaOH doesn't stay intact for long in the open air. It will react fairly quickly with carbon dioxide in the air to form washing soda (sodium carbonate) which is way less harmful. If you see a little white crusty spot on your floor in a few hours, that's probably where a lye bead turned itself into washing soda.
DeeAnna, I so appreciate your science mind!❣️

Thank you for this! I learned the whole lye-reacting-with-air thing just before you posted your comment, and it reassured me lots and now I feel like I can calmly make soap without stressing about the pup!

I'm glad I'm reassuring people. I guess there's a balance between "I don't care" and "I'm going to lie awake all night worrying". If I spill some soap batter or lye on the floor, even if it's a drop or two, you can bet I'm going to clean it up. I don't want to track it all over and I don't want anyone else (critters or spouse) to encounter it either. But once it's cleaned up well enough to suit me (I don't use vinegar -- just normal cleaning methods), I don't worry about it anymore. I know the forces of nature will deal with any small residues that might remain.

Vinegar won't hurt anything, but it isn't a panacea. It takes a whole ounce (2 Tablespoons) of 5% household vinegar to neutralize one gram of NaOH. So if you feel the need to rinse with vinegar to ensure all traces of NaOH are neutralized on your equipment or work surfaces, use vinegar full strength and be generous with it. Spraying and wiping with diluted vinegar is not going to be much more than a "feel good" thing.

And just a first aid reminder -- Never, never use vinegar to treat a lye burn. The most effective and fastest way to treat NaOH or KOH on the body is to rinse the affected area with water. Get lye OFF your skin as soon as possible. The best is cool, clean running water, but if the only water available happens to be a mud puddle, USE IT. And rinse for a longer time than seems reasonable -- most first aid instructions say to rinse for 15 minutes. That's actually a pretty reasonable time to rinse, especially if the exposure is to the face and scalp, under the nails, or other areas that are delicate or hard to clean.

Latest posts

Back