Safety data sheet question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I looked at the safety data sheet for an essential oil and have questions. Does putting an EO with a carrier oil change the EO so that it’s no longer a danger to aquatic life? I don’t live too far from the ocean and my brain went to “eek, I’m going to wash my hands with this, it’s going to make its way to the ocean, and I’m going to be killing fish”. Is this more of a -Don’t put this in your fish tank- warning?

I know this is going to come across wrong but I’m asking with sincerity and really do want to understand, if this says it causes skin irritation, why are we putting it in soap? Does the carrier oil reduce the chance of irritation that much that it makes it safer? I like smelly things just as much as the next person, but I don’t want to cause someone skin irritation. (I’m not selling and am very much a beginner, but maybe someday I’ll want to.)

78A2F502-E9A3-4D5B-B5D0-9ABFF67F5DFB.jpeg

I looked at the safety data sheet for an essential oil and have questions. Does putting an EO with a carrier oil change the EO so that it’s no longer a danger to aquatic life? I don’t live too far from the ocean and my brain went to “eek, I’m going to wash my hands with this, it’s going to make its way to the ocean, and I’m going to be killing fish”. Is this more of a -Don’t put this in your fish tank- warning?

I know this is going to come across wrong but I’m asking with sincerity and really do want to understand, if this says it causes skin irritation, why are we putting it in soap? Does the carrier oil reduce the chance of irritation that much that it makes it safer? I like smelly things just as much as the next person, but I don’t want to cause someone skin irritation. (I’m not selling and am very much a beginner, but maybe someday I’ll want to.)

Even if sufficient folks were to stand shoulder to across every shoreline and wash their hands, it is doubtful it would have an impact on aquatic life.

I am not an expert when it comes to EOs, but I do know that when properly used, they can be very beneficial. Take Cinnamon for example…it has a lot of uses. Add some to sugar and sprinkle on buttered toast…yummy. Add too much, it can burn your mouth. Dilute a little Cinnamon Oil into a carrier oil and it makes for a great massage oil for sore muscles. Add too much or get it around your lady bits and it’s likely to cause skin irritation. Take salt…we need salt to survive, but too much salt is dangerous.

Latest posts

Back