Safe Soap...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbtreasures

Reaction score
I have been pondering this thought concerning homemade soaps. First, is it mandatory to carry protection insurance in case someone should sue you due to homemade soap? If sued, are you responsible for a severe allergic reaction, or only if your soap is found to be faulty for some negligent reason which causes a person to suffer a hardship because of it. If given as a gift, are the implications the same as for a soap bar sold to a customer? I ask because I have wondered about this. Do soapmakers take their chances without liability, knowing that their acquaintances and family are on the up and up, is it worth that risk, and what can be done to alleviate the soap givers concerns. I have spent alot of time researching making soap, and always come back to pondering the what ifs.... :?:

I don't want to come off sounding brass about such a delicate issue, however, I don't know how others have settled with this nagging issue. Thanks to all!

Is it mandatory? No.
Is it a good idea? Yes!

What would the outcome in court be to a severe reaction? The same exact case could be tried by 200 different judges & the out comes would be as different as the judges presiding in the court room. There is no telling how severe or lenient ant given judge would be.

I did not carry insurance when I was just doing neighborhood craft shows. I conscidered it a hobby & somehow *though* the fact that it was a hobby would get me off the hook. When I opened my B&M shop things changed. I went as far as to LLC to assist in protecting myself at that point.

True sopabuddy,

Once I did sit down to LLC & get insurance, it became very clear to me that I should have gotten the insuarnce from day 1. It was very scary in hind site.

There are several companies that offer insurance for the handcrafted soapier. If you join the Soap Makers Guild, insurance is included in membership. There are a few others places too like Bombay I think it is called out in CA. There are others here who can give you the link to them. I'm not sure if that is quite the right name or not. Insurance runs a few hundred dollars per year, but as Tab and SoapBuddy mentioned, it is sure worth it!

Here is The Soap Makers Guild web address: http://www.soapguild.org/
The cost is $480.00 per year and includes insurance.
I'm joining as a dual soap maker selling and as a vendor of soap supplies.

Paul.... :wink:

All....

... thanks to all for their honest comments on this subject. I now know the path I must follow when I get there. I still have to make my first batch of soap yet! I didn't want to invest a whole lotta time in a hobby that would lead to nowhere, ever.
Good evening! :)

Bomba insurance is in California. But once you make over 5000.00 a year your product liability coverage is dropped.

It will only cost you about 300.00 a year or so.

www.bombainsurance.com

HBN also have coverage as well. You also have to join to get the insurance.

What type of insurance are we talking about here? What insurance should I be shopping around for? I don't know if the soapmakers guild would apply to Canadians.

smellitlikeitis said:
Bomba insurance is in California. But once you make over 5000.00 a year your product liability coverage is dropped.

It will only cost you about 300.00 a year or so.

www.bombainsurance.com

If you do any kind of candles, Bomba will not cover you.

Latest posts

Back