Safe soap cutting tool

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cal43

Reaction score
A friend of mine will be assisting her 13 year old to learn the art of soap making. I want to get her the cutting tool. My options are a knife or a wavy /straight cutter. The knife is scary for me and I’m not sure if the wavy/ straight cutter is a good uption.

I think wire cheese cutters are workable and economical. I’ve never used a wavy cutter so I have no opinion on those.

Please, could you explain why a wire cutter does not work for M&P ?
I make cutters for New Zealand soap makers and I've not heard this before.
I may be because MP is cured soap. Cured soap is hard. The wire will stretch and snap sooner than later. Unless there is a wire that will stand up to my Soap that I’m not aware of.

Ah, thank you - that does explain it. I'm not a soap maker myself, so I never presume to tell my customers how - or rather, when -to cut their soap, but I sometimes suggest it should be done while it's still relatively soft.

Mind you, the cutter use high-tensile wire and as far as I know it hasn't broken yet except at the weak point, the loop on one end where it's attached to the frame.

And even when a user over-tightened the arm, the wire didn't break, just bent the arm!

Attachments

• bent arm02.jpg
    bent arm02.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 19
After your replies, I decided to just make one for the young lady. I had most of the stuff on hand. So I only pay shipping instead of paying 20ish for the cheese cutter. Thank You everyone you your post.

Attachments

• BDCFBC7E-A2B7-4B04-9119-6C42F5DE1956.jpeg
    BDCFBC7E-A2B7-4B04-9119-6C42F5DE1956.jpeg
    168.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 6EC54685-FEDF-4946-82FB-7BB494DE9490.jpeg
    6EC54685-FEDF-4946-82FB-7BB494DE9490.jpeg
    147.4 KB · Views: 16
A friend of mine will be assisting her 13 year old to learn the art of soap making. I want to get her the cutting tool. My options are a knife or a wavy /straight cutter. The knife is scary for me and I’m not sure if the wavy/ straight cutter is a good uption.

Perhaps you should ask mom what would be appropriate.

Latest posts

Back