Safe FO Use Percentages...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EllieMae

Reaction score
I will preface this by saying that I know I should follow the supplier details to determine safe percentages for all FO's...problem is, the ones I just bought do not list this. Anywhere. So I'm wondering if there is a "general" rule of thumb I can follow for these specific FO's.

I recently bought 4 FO's from a local online source. The website did not list the safe % for inclusion in CP soap or lip balm (or anything) but I was hopeful that the packages themselves would. But when they came in the mail I realized even the labels have VERY little information (and nothing about "dosing" in bath and beauty products).

Is there any general rule of thumb I can comfortably use to try these scents out in CP (like 2% PPO?) or is my only safe option to chase the supplier and try to get an answer? :confused:

I would call or somehow contact the supplier.
You can try to look it up on the IFRA, however, in recent months, I've come to understand that isn't really as reliable as once thought. (IrishLass has a few explanations if you search IFRA)

Generally a FO if skin safe should be at least skin safe up to 5% PPO for rinse off applications (aka soap), however, that is not inclusive of ALL FO's, just most. So yes, IMO, your best course of action is to contact the supplier.

Thanks @jcandleattic . *Sigh* I knew this was the correct answer but I was naively hoping for a "just go for it" because the supplier has been awfully slow to respond to a previous communication. I'll email them about it and hope for an answer.

I'm not *as* worried about using it in CP soap, but for lip balm I really want to know the accurate rate.

I have learned my lesson to not assume the info I need will magically appear when the product does though!

I'm not *as* worried about using it in CP soap, but for lip balm I really want to know the accurate rate.
Are they flavor oils or fragrance oils? I haven't found a flavor oil out there that will scent a CP soap, as well as be suitable for CP since a lot of flavor oils contain alcohol in them.
What you need to do is to make sure it's lip safe and that's a whole different ball game than just skin safe, since there is a huge possibility it will be ingested. Definitely CALL the supplier before using it lip applications.

Latest posts

Back