Sad day, i guess i need to make a decision

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just now seeing this, Kim. Such good news! I wanted to tell you that I have had to put a dog down for a stroke, and I have had a dog survive a stroke and get better. So, there's hope! If you have to give her water in the future, it is so much easier with a syringe. Can you get a big one at work to have on hand? If so, get one. I hope she continues to get better. You have had too much to contend with this year, as many have, but don't lose hope, it's all we've got!

Thank you everybody for all your thoughts.

She hasnt eaten anything yet, but then again who the heck feels like eating when the world is topsy turvy. But she is drinking on her own, which is good. Except its making her a pee machine, and well i guess she doesnt feel like getting up too much and pees where shes at. But she will go if i take her out. She usually lets me know when she has to go, which shes not doing.

I let her out off-leash earlier in the front yard, and she walked straight through diagonally to the right. At first it was YAY look at you go girl!! Then, ok stop, stop stop....whoops, tree lol. Guess she had momentum going for her.

If its what the vet said it is, the symptoms should abruptly stop as quickly as they started. Keeping my fingers crossed.

If its what the vet said it is, the symptoms should abruptly stop as quickly as they started. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Our elderly dog had this and completely recovered in 5 days. Vet called it Old Dog Vestibular Disease. It is hard to watch! He walked like he was drunk and his eyes darted back and forth... symptoms very similar to my husband's Meniere's Disease. I hope your Abby recovers quickly!

Our elderly dog had this and completely recovered in 5 days. Vet called it Old Dog Vestibular Disease. It is hard to watch! He walked like he was drunk and his eyes darted back and forth... symptoms very similar to my husband's Meniere's Disease. I hope your Abby recovers quickly!
Thats exactly what she called it!

And the eyes are so hard to watch. Reminds me of a time i was on a boat in the keys, i was climbing up to the second deck and we hit a wake. I was paralyzed for about 5 minutes trying to get my bearings. The world was still, but my vision kept going up and down. It was a solid 5 minutes and so nauseating. Poor Abby must be having this non stop.

Did your dogs head tilt recover too? She said it may or may not. Its almost cute, like when they tilt their head while listening to you, but i dont want her like that permanently.

Thats exactly what she called it!

And the eyes are so hard to watch. Reminds me of a time i was on a boat in the keys, i was climbing up to the second deck and we hit a wake. I was paralyzed for about 5 minutes trying to get my bearings. The world was still, but my vision kept going up and down. It was a solid 5 minutes and so nauseating. Poor Abby must be having this non stop.

Did your dogs head tilt recover too? She said it may or may not. Its almost cute, like when they tilt their head while listening to you, but i dont want her like that permanently.

Yes, he completely recovered head tilt and all. He did have a little relapse about a year later but it was short lived too.

That’s very interesting. I have meniere’s but didn’t know animals could get. I’ve seen patients that have BPPV- benign paroxysmal positional vertigo —due to the otoliths bumping into nerve cells. Physical therapy can help or sometimes just doing certain moves on your own. I’m so Abby can overcome! My youngest daughter’s name is Abby. I’m sure your dog is just as sweet!!! Happy happy joy joy!!

Vet said shes not ruling out a stroke, but gave her meds for vertigo. Said its more common in older dogs than stroke is. She said that as soon as she saw abby she was 99% sure of it and it should clear up in a few days. If not then she will revisit stroke.

we just got home. She got a shot of the vertigo meds at the office and i have pills to give after. She already seems a little better... walking around like a drunk dog. She keeps walking in circles to the right. But at least she is walking, yesterday she wasnt.

And she got a pedicure while she was there lol. The office fell in love with her
awwwww wonderful news shes doing better. one day @ a time. ❤️🤗

Thinking of you! Unconditional love is amazing and hard.. Glad she got her pedicure. I hope you have more time with her- and thank you for helping her in her hour of need

I just saw this now and about cried reading theough the first page. I was thinking vestibular disease though! My last dog had that when he was around 12 or 13. He had a siezure in the night and walked like a drunk and then his eyes were crazy. I called off work and took him to the vet and thats what they said was going on. He recovered and lived to 16, although he would sometimes have small episodes of, I think, dizziness. Sometimes he'd crash into a wall or something just walking down the hall. Much hope for Abby's recovery!!

I put a couple blankets around the house. She seems to like this one. Earlier she was just wandering around and crashing into things.

Attachments

• D647F6A7-6A23-45B7-B719-BD760F1D5EFB.jpeg
    D647F6A7-6A23-45B7-B719-BD760F1D5EFB.jpeg
    209.5 KB · Views: 30
Pour baby! And pour mommy & little sis. I am so glad she is improving and that the prognosis is good, despite how stressful this all has been.

I had not know that this can happen to dogs. It must be very confusing for them to go through it and be unable to communicate what it feels like. It makes so sad.

Back