Rustic Coffe soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps if the beans on tops were made out of soap, that is another thing, but then they better be stuck in the soap really well so it doesn`t fall off...

The soap is a Olive/ lard/coconut soap with a smidge of castor.

I find that hunks or curls on top of a soap are annoying even if they are soap. Once they get soft they turn mushy and fall off in pieces and are a pain to clean up from the bathroom floor or the basin.

I find that hunks or curls on top of a soap are annoying even if they are soap. Once they get soft they turn mushy and fall off in pieces and are a pain to clean up from the bathroom floor or the basin.

Yes, I agree, it looks cool enough, but user friendly soaps are better.

But I found that it has been a good lesson to learn, so I can tick off those things on my list, of fun things to try, and then I have tested what works and what doesn`t. Coffee beans do not work (for me).
But embeds that are a part of soap so it doesn`t fall off or trap a lot of water, but instead wears off slowly as you use the soap, those I like. But those are usually flat embeds, they work for me.

I'm with you on the curls. They get brittle and break off. Larger chunks are okay for me because they are actually part of the bar, vs some that will break off.

I'm with you on the curls. They get brittle and break off. Larger chunks are okay for me because they are actually part of the bar, vs some that will break off.

Like these: Gorgeous to look at but not fun getting them off the floor after a shower.

Curls on soap 1.jpg

Soap curls.jpg

I don't like anything on top with the exception of finely ground oatmeal or a little glitter. I don't want stuff sticking to my tup. Though I do make a kitchen/gardeners soap with coffee grounds for the hands. I don't add a lot and they are still slightly wet from brewing the coffee through them twice.

I don't like anything on top with the exception of finely ground oatmeal or a little glitter. I don't want stuff sticking to my tup. Though I do make a kitchen/gardeners soap with coffee grounds for the hands. I don't add a lot and they are still slightly wet from brewing the coffee through them twice.

A little bit of glitter. Oooh, yes!:mrgreen: Looks great in small ammounts, lifts a soap that looks more bland, and it doesn`t fall off in big chunks. What`s not to love.

I can't stand glitter, it sticks to everything and you can NEVER clean it up. I once used glitter in crafts and found glitter particles everywhere around the house even months later.

You could always push the bits down the plughole with your toes - save you picking the bits up lol

Haha, now there`s an idea...!
m0108.gif

I can't stand glitter, it sticks to everything and you can NEVER clean it up. I once used glitter in crafts and found glitter particles everywhere around the house even months later.

Sounds annoying, I can understand why you hate it then. I myself have actually never had that problem, it sticks to the soap and washes away in an instant in the sink and shower, and doesn`t stick to my skin and I have no glitter anywhere in the house.
Perhaps it`s got to do with what type of glitter it is?

Chiming in a little late, but my experience with coffee is if you use non used grounds the scratchy factor goes through the roof! One batch I made is too much to even hold onto (I used 2 tbsp ppo because i misread the tsp/tblsp). Ended up going with one teaspoon ppo for a body bar and it doesn't remove strips of hide like the other one does.

And none of my batches, CP or HP, have retained enough coffee scent to even consider claiming it's there....even with the strong stuff!

The soaps in the thread are gorgeous! I'm jealous *slinks off into corner with her pile of rustic HP* :). Great job!

I make a layered gardener's soap that contains about 3% ppo of finely ground coffee in the layer that contains the grounds. I don't know how that translates into volume measurements.

The coffee soap layer isn't overly scrubby, but I've found the key is to use only finely ground stuff. I grind the beans as fine as my mill will go and pass the ground coffee through a medium-fine kitchen strainer. The fine stuff looks like finely ground black pepper powder with speckles of medium ground pepper. That goes in the soap, the coarser stuff gets used to make a pot of coffee.

I make a layered gardener's soap that contains about 3% ppo of finely ground coffee in the layer that contains the grounds. I don't know how that translates into volume measurements.

The coffee soap layer isn't overly scrubby, but I've found the key is to use only finely ground stuff. I grind the beans as fine as my mill will go and pass the ground coffee through a medium-fine kitchen strainer. The fine stuff looks like finely ground black pepper powder with speckles of medium ground pepper. That goes in the soap, the coarser stuff gets used to make a pot of coffee.

Yes, this. I think how finely you mill it has a lot to do with it. I milled the coffee as fine as humanly possible and it became a powder that was waaaaaay to fine to make a drinkable coffee out of, it would make a slurry cup of coffee for sure, even with a good filter, lol:sick:

That said, as mentioned before, I used waaaaay too much in this batch. But it is great in the shower to get a good cirkulation going on. But at least I have learned something doing this:mrgreen:

Chiming in a little late, but my experience with coffee is if you use non used grounds the scratchy factor goes through the roof! One batch I made is too much to even hold onto (I used 2 tbsp ppo because i misread the tsp/tblsp). Ended up going with one teaspoon ppo for a body bar and it doesn't remove strips of hide like the other one does.

So did you actually find that a slightly coarser grind was acceptable so long as the grounds are actually used to make coffee first?

Acceptable for tougher skin, yes. For face? Forget it. But the unused grounds were only acceptable for elephant hide or feet! Even putting them in the lye water (which I thought heated up enough to change them) didn't help.

Just wanted to tell my soapy friends that this soap was made with the coffee grounds from my son's really really expensive £500 coffee machine thought it would be a nice reminder of his first ever coffee from his machine his wife too of course.

Photos of my coffee/chocolate soap (nowhere as good as my soapy hearts creation)

Oops, sorry, I didn`t see this untill now!

Oh yes, these are very nice! I like the packaging with a simple 'belt' around them, and the rustic look add something really special to them, me thinks, well done you!

How nice and thoughtfull of you to do that for them, I am sure it made them feel special that you did this : )

Back