Runny Soap ! What to do?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yesterday I was using several colors again for an in the pot swirl and was trying to keep it from tracing so I’d have more time. BUT I think it wasn’t even emulsified when I separated the batch and added the colors. I wondered, kept staring, but went ahead and poured anyway... it was pretty thin so all the colors blended when I poured them.( kinda black soap 🙄) Today it’s runny in the mold with oil being noticeable on top..can I save this batch somehow ? I didn’t SB because I was trying to move it slow. Fortunately I’ve finally learned to use a one pound mold for my self inflicted challenges, altho I did use patchouli EO. Usually I’m trying to keep it from being too thick. Runny is a new dilemma! I also soap cooler because of the goat milk. I appreciate the help of all you wise soapers !

Pour it out and try to blend it, it may still come back together. There is a good chance it will need to be finished HP.
Might be just as easy to pour it in a crock pot,blend it and cook on low until its done.

Oh thank you! I don’t have a crockpot anymore except for the instant pot. But I’ve been thinking about getting one just for HP.. I’ll try both your suggestions and let you know . Thanks again

If you have the stainless inner pot (liner), you can use the slow-cooker function on the IP for making soap. It will come out very clean afterwards. ;)

If you have the non-stick liner, I personally would not use it because of how the lye might react with the non-stick coating, as well as the metal underneath that which most likely is exposed by scratches, flakes, etc.

You can also put on the stove set to low, in a regular stainless pot, and HP it that way. Takes a bit more babysitting than the slow-cooker, but I actually prefer that to scraping and lifting a heavy ceramic crock full of hot soap.

Never use a pan with non-stick coating for making soap. It will cause the coating to deteriorate and flake off, and get into your soap. But before it does that, it also permeates the coating with the smell of soap. So not only will it ruin your pot for cooking, flakes of the coating will evenually start turning up in your soap. AND underneath the coating, your pan may be made of pretty much any metal, so if not SS, the lye will react with the metal.

@Obsidian @AliOop @earlene thank you all. Unfortunately my IP does have the nonstick so I won’t use that. I have stainless steel pots for the stove but had thought I couldn’t use the same pots for soap as cooking. Later I could always get one at the thrift store too for soaping . Good to know. I’ll see what happens today and let you know the outcome

@Obsidian @AliOop @earlene thank you all. Unfortunately my IP does have the nonstick so I won’t use that. I have stainless steel pots for the stove but had thought I couldn’t use the same pots for soap as cooking. Later I could always get one at the thrift store too for soaping . Good to know. I’ll see what happens today and let you know the outcome

All of my soaping supplies are dedicated to soaping only, but I would feel safe using a good quality stainless steel for both. As for my ceramic crock pot insert, never. The ceramic really is too pourous to risk it. But I have a small one I use for cooking and the larger one is for soap only.

@Obsidian @earlene @AliOop @Becky1024 and @newtime_primo ( I’m not sure I can figure out how to quote many on my phone 🙄) thank you all for your help. I started with pouring it out and stick blending and right away it started to thicken up. I’ll remember all the other suggestions for the next time it happens. I could actually start sculpting a bit so I decided to make a house like the one I saw posted here as a Christmas soap. I can’t find the post now, but thank you! I had used 4 different natural colors and they had all blended together since it had been so thin originally. Anyway, I like the color! Hopefully it doesn’t morph! My daughter was with me and had the idea to make it “fairy lodging”. So now, more Christmas gifts! What I thought would be a waste has turned out to be not so bad. If you all knew how much I appreciate you. Life is a bit stressful in our family and this has been the sunshine. Patchouli EO 😁

Attachments

• 63DDA097-0842-4AC8-AD18-CEC50D7206FF.jpeg
    63DDA097-0842-4AC8-AD18-CEC50D7206FF.jpeg
    229 KB · Views: 17

Latest posts

Back