Runny palm oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrayGrants

Reaction score
Alright strap yourself in for what I consider to be a dumb question. So I bought a 7lb jug of palm oil and melted it all down and stirred it up to portion into different containers so I didn't have to keep reheating it. So the remaining oil in the jug is opaque but it is fairly runny, as in I can pour it and it was solid upon purchase. So I am wondering did this happen because of the heating or do the other containers have the majority of the stearic acid in them?

The other containers are refrigerated so I guess I will let one come to room temp to see its consistency. I made sure to melt and stir it really well before portioning into separate containers. Does anyone know anything about this?

What is the temperature inside your home in the area where the remaining CO sits? I find that this time of year any CO in a jar in my pantry starts to melt. Always has in the warm months.

Have you tried pouring it into a smaller container & cooling it?

ETA: Oops, I said CO, when you are talking about PO. Sorry. See lsg's post below.

Last edited:
As earlene stated, if the temp in your home is at the melting point of the palm oil, it will liquify. Even if your home is air conditioned and the oil is stored in a cabinet or closet, the temp. there will be higher.

Okay so I took one of the portions out of the fridge and let it sit at room temp overnight and it remained solid. Then I refrigerated the remaining runny portion and it hardened, but it became runny again after sitting at room temp. This leads me to believe that the portions were not properly mixed and that I need to melt them all back down again and be sure to stir them really well before portioning again. :(

That's odd, but yeah...melt it all down, still it really, really well. Let it cool down so it is safe to handle, give it another good stir and start portioning it out again. When I did 35lbs (OMG what a mess), once I got it back into the bucket and started dividing it out, I just kept stirring it.

I need to melt them all back down again
No need to melt again. If there's room, divide the runny portion between the number of containers you have. That's what I would do.

On the other hand, if there's not a lot, the next time you make soap, weigh the runny palm first and then add the balance from one of the containers. I doubt it will matter, just a little less hard than a normal batch. ;)

No need to melt again. If there's room, divide the runny portion between the number of containers you have. That's what I would do.

On the other hand, if there's not a lot, the next time you make soap, weigh the runny palm first and then add the balance from one of the containers. I doubt it will matter, just a little less hard than a normal batch. ;)

I like this idea, thank you all so much for the help as usual.

Alright strap yourself in for what I consider to be a dumb question. So I bought a 7lb jug of palm oil and melted it all down and stirred it up to portion into different containers so I didn't have to keep reheating it. So the remaining oil in the jug is opaque but it is fairly runny, as in I can pour it and it was solid upon purchase. So I am wondering did this happen because of the heating or do the other containers have the majority of the stearic acid in them?

The other containers are refrigerated so I guess I will let one come to room temp to see its consistency. I made sure to melt and stir it really well before portioning into separate containers. Does anyone know anything about this?
I'm curious. Where you purchased the PO from? Was it the no-stir type?

I just got two buckets of no-stir from WSP and they were both liquid so I put them in the fridge and they hardened up but after being at room temperature they turned all soupy again. My other no-stir palm was normal looking so I emailed customer service to ask if they thought it was ok to use or if I needed to do anything different and they replied right away that they were sending me two new buckets. I was shocked! I wasn't asking for a replacement. They shipped them out today. Can't wait to see what they look like when they get here. I must say that I am impressed by their customer service.

Where are you in Florida?

I'm curious. Where you purchased the PO from? Was it the no-stir type?

I just got two buckets of no-stir from WSP and they were both liquid so I put them in the fridge and they hardened up but after being at room temperature they turned all soupy again. My other no-stir palm was normal looking so I emailed customer service to ask if they thought it was ok to use or if I needed to do anything different and they replied right away that they were sending me two new buckets. I was shocked! I wasn't asking for a replacement. They shipped them out today. Can't wait to see what they look like when they get here. I must say that I am impressed by their customer service.

Where are you in Florida?

I got my PO from soapers choice and it is not the no stir kind. Also I live in Gainesville, FL btw.

Latest posts

Back