Rulebreaker recipes?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anglezarke

Reaction score
Have you, by design or serendipity, arrived upon a recipe that works despite it breaking a few rules?

100% Coconut Oil, ~20% superfat is a well-known one.

My lucky combo runs fairly well through Soapcalc but does break a couple of rules.

Had litres of Sweet Almond to use as it was on the verge of getting old. So, I worked the numbers on various combos of plain Coconut Oil and Sweet Almond. Elected for 50% of each. The two seem to offset really well, super bubbly but almost a 10% castor feel to it, good spring, no slime and the SA high percentage means its not drying. Am very happy with it as a quick wash hand soap.

You?

The salt bars and soleseifes also come to mind. Lots of coconut, a lot of times no hard fats but both result in super hard (brittle even) bars of soap. Both are also high coconut, but you can get away with less in the soleseifes.

The soaps made using Zany’s no slime Castile recipe also break some rules. Actually, the Castiles in general can be considered rule breakers. That thread has several people try other oils in place of olive, sweet almond I remember is one.

I use a high % of Coconut in my regular bars (some consider that a BIG no-no), but with the combination of the other oils I use, it is not drying at all.
In blind usage tests with other soapmakers, they couldn't tell the bar with the high % CO from the low % CO bars. They guessed wrong in every single test.

One of my 'rule-breaking' formulas contains a whopping 23% castor oil. It works because of the high amount of tallow in the formula (65%). The remaining 12% is olive oil. It has a nice velvety feel to it.

IrishLass :)

Soapcalc would have a field day with that! :)

I use a high % of Coconut in my regular bars (some consider that a BIG no-no), but with the combination of the other oils I use, it is not drying at all.
It's nice to know I'm not alone on this!

One of my 'rule-breaking' formulas contains a whopping 23% castor oil. It works because of the high amount of tallow in the formula (65%). The remaining 12% is olive oil. It has a nice velvety feel to it.
I'd love to try this!

In blind usage tests with other soapmakers, they couldn't tell the bar with the high % CO from the low % CO bars. They guessed wrong in every single test.
Unfortunately, I could tell the difference and it did not agree with my skin issues. Not in the least trying to say your recipe is bad but it did not work for my mom or me and that was before looking at the label. So it is still subjective. Blind testing while can work you just do not get the overall picture as you get using a particular soap for awhile.

Latest posts

Back