Rubbery Soap?!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 53332

Reaction score
I rebatched my melt and pour soap. Melted it down. It had vanilla fragrance in it and chamomile (dried). I mixed it really well with a blender to chop the chamomile more finely. When I re-molded the soap, it yielded a very rubbery soap, almost bendable. What did I do wrong?

is this homemade melt and pour?

Either way, if M&P soap gets too hot, or is remelted a lot of times it can take on a rubbery consistency.

Welcome to SMF, @momoftwo !

It can be baffling to be surprised by a soap that changes texture. Honest question: do you dislike it? Or could you live with it? I've had many soaps (M&P, as well as lye based cold and hot process) that had a weird consistency, but turned out to be alright in the end.

I have gotten rubber like MP soap when adding alcohol (used to mix the micas), and some brands tend to do that more than others. I wonder if when you blended it with the chamomile in the blender, if tiny bubbles were introduced that somehow contributed to that?

I have gotten rubber like MP soap when adding alcohol (used to mix the micas), and some brands tend to do that more than others. I wonder if when you blended it with the chamomile in the blender, if tiny bubbles were introduced that somehow contributed to that?

Thank you for the tips! Could be that I added too much chamomile too.

is this homemade melt and pour?

Either way, if M&P soap gets too hot, or is remelted a lot of times it can take on a rubbery consistency.
Thank you!

Welcome to SMF, @momoftwo !

It can be baffling to be surprised by a soap that changes texture. Honest question: do you dislike it? Or could you live with it? I've had many soaps (M&P, as well as lye based cold and hot process) that had a weird consistency, but turned out to be alright in the end.
I could live with it! LOL. Funny thing is, it smells fine, and other than the weird texture, it's still soap. Just wouldn't give as gifts. Thanks for the help!

Good morning,
If I used an emulsion blender to mix up chunks, would that cause the rubbery/soft consistency?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back