RTCP'ers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paupau

Reaction score
For the room temp cold processors, here the question. I thought that the oils and the lye is at room temp. On another thread, I was listed that the oils are at room temp and the lye could still be at a high temp.

Your input please.

I just did my first RTCP, my Lye was at 82 degrees(I made it in the morning and let it sit for about three hours) and my oil 91. I had to warm my oil a bit because I use so much Shea, it wouldn't blend smoothly...The trace temp was about 87 degrees...

Actually it did really really good! I am going to post how I did it later tonight, with pictures! :D

Paul inspired me to give it a try and i'm hooked as well.

I even went out to teach my mum how to do it. She's been making their own soaps after I started..... But her's a very baisc without anything fancy. But I showed her how to use the soapcal to make a better bar of soap with the oils that she does use. And she's very impressed with the RTCP soap, just as I am.......

We made 5 1/2 pounds yesterday and today she was just tickled at how they turned out !!!!! (so far)

Maybe I don't understand the whole RTCP thing.

When I make soap, I make six 8 pound batches at a time (180 bars) of different soaps.

First I measure out the oils, then I start heating them one by one. As soon as the first batch of oils hit the heat I mix 6 batches of lye water. Since there are 6 batches of oils and only one propane heater, heating the oils can take up to 45-60 minutes. While the lye water is cooling and the oils are melting I line the six 30" molds, checking on and changing out the oils while I do this. By the time the molds are lined the oils are heated and cooling.

I usually have to wait about 30 minuted before the lye water and the oils are at the right temp to start mixing. Lunch time.

I reckon it doesn't make much since for me to do the RTCP method unless I make 1 or 2 small batches at a time. Right?

I make 1 or 2 pound batches at a time anyway only because I like different scents and have a bunch to try until I see what will sell and what won't. I'm not familiar with batches that big so I don't know- Paul would be a great one to ask I think he does big ones and he does all rtcp

Not as big as that! My batches are about 45 to 90 ounce batches, or 12 to 24 bars each. I just find it is easy to master-batch my 2 or 3 favorite recipes in large detergent bottles or 3 gallon buckets with a lid and a pour spout. All i do is give it a good shake, and pour out XX ounces of the RT master-batch recipe I want to make. I usually keep 1/2 gallon of 50% premixed lye solution with aloe vera juice and silk. This method gives me more time to colour and swirl also. :wink:
I just make a batch during my lunch break from the TOG shop. Fast, easy, done. :D

Paul

I would eventually like to be able to do it the way Paul does it! Every minute saved is an extra minute of sleep....

Soapmaker Man said:
Not as big as that! My batches are about 45 to 90 ounce batches, or 12 to 24 bars each. I just find it is easy to master-batch my 2 or 3 favorite recipes in large detergent bottles or 3 gallon buckets with a lid and a pour spout. All i do is give it a good shake, and pour out XX ounces of the RT master-batch recipe I want to make. I usually keep 1/2 gallon of 50% premixed lye solution with aloe vera juice and silk. This method gives me more time to colour and swirl also. :wink:
I just make a batch during my lunch break from the TOG shop. Fast, easy, done. :D

Paul

You keep your oils premixed? Does that work if they're not equal amounts? I've been thinking about doing.

Back