RTCP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godiva

Reaction score
I want to try RTCP, but read somewhere that it's best not to use a recipe with PKO. I've been using the following recipe:

Crisco 40%
Coconut 16%
PKO 15%
Castor 12%
Rice Bran 10%
Shea 7%

I also add silk fibers and 1/2 tsp salt ppo.

I have read the info on oils and their properties, but have a mental block when trying to figure it out.

Is there a sub for PKO?

I also have lard, pre-creamed shortening, olive pomace, palm, safflower, sunflower, and canola oils, if there are any other recipes anyone might suggest for RTCP.

Thanks

You can sub lard for palm, not PKO.
PKO is a cleansing oil like coconut.
You can use PKO in RTCP

Godiva, I have used PKO for many months in RTCP and have never had a problem. HTH. Laurie

In my most used recipe, I use both CO and PKO, and always RTCP with no issues. Like Lucy mentioned lard is a sub for palm oil, lard is not a bubbly or cleansing fat.

Cleansing oils are;

Coconut Oil
Palm Kernel Oil
Babassu Oil

brian0523 said:
I use CO and PKO, and have to issues with RTCP

I'm assuming you mean "no issues" vs "to issues".

I tried rtcp today - liked it - everything going well until I added my FO - it was White Tea and Ginger. I think I read someone said spice FO's usually speed things up - and it did. I was stirring with a whisk - didn't need the SB. I used GM powder and had used distilled water to water it down, but I didn't use the 50/50 lye solution - just made my lye solution as normal and let sit overnight. So I didn't want to use too much water with the GM - just an ounce - and it didn't blend completely - so when I added it to the soap - there were small little chunks - about the size of cottage cheese - and not too many. Anywhoo - I thought to myself if the orange dots showed up, I'd just pretend they were supposed to be there - and continued on.

I stirred to a medium trace and added the FO - was not planning on swirling or adding any color - thought the GM would make it a light tan and that would look nice for the fragrance. And I wanted a thick top. Wanted to try the baggie thing for adding some texture to the top - didn't have time after adding the FO. It seemed to be behaving pretty well, but then I stopped stirring for a minute to do something - and when I came back, it was globs.

So I glopped it into the mold, banged it down, covered it with saran wrap. Next morn, the FO was leaking all over the bottom and the orange dots where there.

Are the orange dots a problem, or is it just cosmetic?

Godiva said:
brian0523 said:
I use CO and PKO, and have to issues with RTCP

I'm assuming you mean "no issues" vs "to issues".

I tried rtcp today - liked it - everything going well until I added my FO - it was White Tea and Ginger. I think I read someone said spice FO's usually speed things up - and it did. I was stirring with a whisk - didn't need the SB. I used GM powder and had used distilled water to water it down, but I didn't use the 50/50 lye solution - just made my lye solution as normal and let sit overnight. So I didn't want to use too much water with the GM - just an ounce - and it didn't blend completely - so when I added it to the soap - there were small little chunks - about the size of cottage cheese - and not too many. Anywhoo - I thought to myself if the orange dots showed up, I'd just pretend they were supposed to be there - and continued on.

I stirred to a medium trace and added the FO - was not planning on swirling or adding any color - thought the GM would make it a light tan and that would look nice for the fragrance. And I wanted a thick top. Wanted to try the baggie thing for adding some texture to the top - didn't have time after adding the FO. It seemed to be behaving pretty well, but then I stopped stirring for a minute to do something - and when I came back, it was globs.

So I glopped it into the mold, banged it down, covered it with saran wrap. Next morn, the FO was leaking all over the bottom and the orange dots where there.

Are the orange dots a problem, or is it just cosmetic?

The orange spots are from the lye "burning" the goat milk powder that was undissolved in the batter. Goat milk has a high sugar content and reacts with the lye, turning it (the GM) orange.
That is what happened to your soap. It was easy to diagnose by your great explanation of your process.

Paul :wink:

So it's ok to use soap with these orange spots? If I rebatch, will the orange spots remain or go away? As long as the orange spots don't cause a problem to using the soap, I'll need to rebatch because of the FO leaking. Otherwise I like the way the soap was looking.

Back