RTCP Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana

Reaction score
Well I tried making RTCP soap today and it was GREAT! I never tried this before (actually this is my 4th batch of soap ever lol)
Question: I guess since the ingredients were room temp there is not a gel stage?
Already this is the most beautiful looking soap I have made to date!

I used 50% OO, 25% CO, 25% Palm. Apparently not enough FO cause I can barely smell it :(

My 2nd and 3rd batches were using the "simple" 100% CO recipe I have seen and both were total flops :(

I might try to do this again with more FO (I used 0.7oz pp)

Any tips/suggestions?

Thanks

Dana

ps Paul I am still trying to decide on which TOG mold is the best for me right now :)

From what I've read/searched I should have had gel? Definitely no gel happening here.
What did I do wrong, what should I do for the next batch?

HELP PLEASE

Thanks

Dana

Did you insulate it? Also, what FO did you use? .7 oz ppo will usually give you a pretty good scent. I have used less of a couple of FO's but havent ran across anything I need more of yet.

Yes, I insulated it.
I used a dupe of Philosophy Pure Grace.

Nothing, nada. No gel. :(

Looks pretty though..........sigh

dana

I used soap calc.....? I think it was ok...
It was only a small batch, 1# is usually what I make right now.

Is it a bad thing that it did not gel?

Dana

Will the soap be ok without the gel? I've tried to search about the whole gel controversy but it just made me confused... :roll:
thanks
dana

Soaps needn't gel - but then it takes longer for the saponification process to finish. Give the batch up to a week.

Individual molds and small batches often don't gel without additional heat. That heat can be provided by a heating pad, a warmed mold, an oven on a very low setting and turned off.

Thanks, carebear! Great advice. Will try the oven with the light on next time I make a batch. Most of my batches are tiny.

Dana, I always get a full gel when using my TOG Molds, even with a TOG Slab Mold, which is normally harder to achieve a good gel in a slab mold verses a log mold. It is the thickness of the wood I use, the liner system I use, and the fact I provide a tight fitting wood top for all my molds. You don't have to get a gel, some soap makers prevent it all together! Like CareBear mentioned, I personally feel a fully geled soap feels better, cures faster, and is thus ready to use a tad faster than a ungeled soap. You know I RTCP everything, but I do use goat milk which helps heat the RTCP oils and lye solution up so my soaps hit gel faster and every time in my molds. Thanks for keeping my molds in your mind! 8)

Paul.... :wink:

So Paul do you think in a TOG mold (even with a 1# batch?) I can get full gel? Even doing RTCP?
Right now I'll be making those trial size batches while I learn and experiment.

And what do do with all this SOAP in the mean time. At least with my candles I get immediate gratification.

And yes still ooogling molds, will prob get the tiniest log mold or the 6 divider one since I like tiny batches to learn with.

Thanks for your input, I know you are the RTCP King!

Dana

I can get full gel in a TOG 1 pound test Mini Mold. Even though it is only 5" long on the inside by 3-1/2" wide, it is a full 2-3/4" tall or deep on the inside. When you use the wood top, it will gel for you, and you will get 5 full size bars of soap.! :)

Paul.... :)

Dana said:
Yes, I insulated it.
I used a dupe of Philosophy Pure Grace.

Nothing, nada. No gel. :(

Looks pretty though..........sigh

dana

Dana - just wondering how your soap turned out. Is the fragrance a true dupe of Pure Grace? If so, where did you purchase it?

The dupe was recommended by some peeps on another board...IMO, because I wear the real thing, it is not a true dupe. Their versions of Amazing Grace and Baby Grace are very good OOB though!
I am trying not to give up on the Pure Grace yet. I have only tried it in CP soap, OOB it is off a tad but might throw more true in a different recipe, or in lotion etc.
I got my FO for these at http://www.fragrancesbydesign.com/

HTH

Dana[/code]

Back