RTCP - Please! -- Tutorial added.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbtreasures

Reaction score
I, also, have been looking for more info on the RTCP method. I looked in the tutorials, and searched but couldn't find enough info - just bits and pieces. Please provide the missing link to it (if it exists).
Paul - this is, no doubt, your baby!!

OK. Regular RTPC is done using the hot lye solution to melt your hard oils.
I changed that for a faster way.

I thought you could premix a big batch of your recipe, like 1/2 gallon or 5 gallons at a time. :) That is what I did. I took my recipe and made like 6 or 7 times each oil and melted them and poured into my big holding container. I store my smaller master-batch in a huge soap bottle, or during the busy times, in a 5 gallon bucket with the locking lid. My recipe is a thick liquid when I get ready to measure out my needed ounces for my mold size, at room temperature. Always remember to shake or better yet, stir the contents of your master-batched recipe before measuring out the needed amount for your mold.

I also premix my lye solution. I weigh out say 100 ounces of aloe vera juice, and 100 ounces of lye, a 60% lye solution. I then add my silk to the aloe vera juice. I add my lye and stir well. I wait for this to cool down, and store in a HDPE jug with the built in pour spout. It is at room temperature too.

When I get ready to soap, I simply measure by weight my needed master-batched oils. Say, for ease, my recipe uses 10 ounces of lye. I measure out 20 ounces of solution, knowing that is the right amount of lye. Now say that recipe calls for 30 ounces of water, or liquid. I know there is 10 ounces of aloe vera juice in the lye solution. I simply subtract the required amount 30 ounces minus 10 ounces in the solution, and know I need another 20 ounces of liquid. I slowly pour the 20 ounces of lye solution into the oils. I then add my goat milk as the remainder of the needed liquids. I can whisk by hand or use a stick blender. I get plenty of time to colour small amounts of the light traced batter for swirls. At this point, I add my scents or any other additives. I pour the batter into my mold, and start my swirls. I can, from start to finish, complete a batch of soap in 15 minutes or less. I use my heavy wood TOG Molds with a wood lid to hold in heat from saponification, and easily get full gel every time, as I strive for full gel. If your batch does not heat up enough, next time add a small amount of honey to get it going.

Well gang, that is it in a nutshell! :wink: I've been doing it this way for over a year now, and absolutely love this way of RTCP! :D I call this "soaping in a snap." I'll fill in things as I read this or you have questions. I'll probably move this to the "Tutorial" section. Done.

I'll be happy to answer any other questions you may have! :wink:

Paul

For the first Time I understand your method. You've done an excelent job of explaining the process. Thanks A Bunch Paul!!

Thanks a bunch, Paul! Now, I, too, understand the RTCP deal. This sure beats balancing temperature probes and working fast. Allows more time to play with the additives. You explained it so that, even I, :shock: know what you mean.

:)

Have a great day.

Another convert

I am a new kid on the block and have been lurking around snarfing up all the info I can. This has to be the most friendly and informative board to us newbies. Thanks to all who have shared and maybe one day I'll have something good to pass along :)

I have been doing the RT method described here and it is great. I was wondering if some oils are more suited than others for this method or are there some that are best used with heat? I do melt the really hard ones like cocoa butter. I have noticed that gel does take a while to get going (may try the oven thing) and plan to cut one log today, hoping that it was a complete gel. The other RT batches I have purposely left un-gelled.

Next (yes, I have many questions but will try to keep it at a minimum, lol), I combined 16 oz lye with 16 oz water to use as needed. It looks like there is soap scum floating through out. The container (sshhhh.....it was a big Pyrex cup) was definitely cleaned. I am wondering if my solution is too saturated and if temperature has anything to do with it. I do not think the lye completely dissolved. My scales are new and presumably accurate since I have had no problems with other batches. Now I am not certain if the proportions are correct. Any thoughts here?

Lastly, for Paul.......I have the double TOG log mold. Would there be a problem if I made 2 different scents at the same time in the mold?

Digit

This is an excellent thread, thanks Paul. This has inspired me to try RTCP and see how it turns out. For those of use who are looking to get into very small sales, this sounds like an excellent way to increase productivity.

Thanks Digit! You bet uou can make two different scents at the same time! :D 8) That is a great way to use the TOG Dual Log Mold. I think you got the double 10". IUse 32 ounces of oils per side, you will get a batch that is 2-1/2 inches tall. I'm so happy you love your mold and a big hug and welcome to our forum! :D

Paul

just discovered rtcp

ok, i've just discovered this and want to try it. i don't necessarily want to measure everything out ahead of time, at least right now any way. do i understand that i could have pre-measure lye solution at room temp and whip oils at room temp and go for it?! :?: most of my recipes are different and the lye solubtion seems to be different for each one, i can't do the same thing twice! :wink: so can you explain again how you do that(lye). sorry to be such a pain, and i'm sure you've covered this but i think the light bulb may be getting ready to go on! i hope. thanks so much!!

what do you store your lye solution in again? could i use one of my old 5-gal buckets?

Hi, I am sure others could answer better than I. But anyway, it's okay that you have different recipes that you use. You basically make up a 50/50 liquid/lye solution. So I use aloe vera juice so I for example mix 100 grams lye into my 100 grams aloe. Store that. When I am ready to do my recipe and it calls for say 100 grams lye then I add 200 grams of my lye/aloe solution. This accounts for the 100 grams lye plus 100 grams liquid. Then I add whatever extra liquids my recipe calls for. For me I usually use goats milk and I add it after emulsion or at trace.

I also have my oils pre-mixed, but there you would have to use separate containers for different recipes. So if I am doing 4 lbs oils then I would measure 4 lbs into my container and then add my lye/aloe solution. Then I would top up with my gm. But if you are using distilled water or aloe you could add this with your lye solution.

Laurie

As for a container for the lye solution use anything that has the HDPE on the bottom. I am currently using Tropicana orange juice container.

I have been using this method for months and learned it from Paul the Soapmaker man. I love it. It works. Please ask anymore questions if you have to. It took me awhile to figure it out.

rtcp - i think i got it!

i think i got it and i think i'm ready to adapt my recipes. i might try to standardize my 'basics' in my soap line and that will make things a little easier, it's something i've wanted to do for some time. i can't wait to try rtcp. :D

ok, here's a specific lye questions and that seems where i am getting stuck. for example lets say i have mixed a lye solution of 16oz lye and 16oz of liquid, say water at this point. and my recipe calls for 9.3 oz of lye. from that lye solution do i measure out 18.6 oz (which 9.3 x 2) to get my 9.3 oz of lye? and say the recipe calls for 35 oz total liquid. i subtract 9.3 oz from the 35 total oz the recipe calls for and i get 25.7 oz left. then i add that 25.7oz in whatever liquid i want to make up the total liquid requirement. is that correct?

could i mix any amount of lye and water together as long as they are equal parts and as long as i feel safe storing that amount? in other words is the 100grams water and 100grams just arbitrary numbers?

too bad i have to go to work! this job thing cramps my style! :wink:

You have got it! Perfect! It is really easy once you understand the process. I have been doing this method of RTCP for a year now. 8) It works every time. I did a demo this past weekend in Tennessee using this process. I'll post pics of that log tonight.

delta soap diva, you will love this method. :)

Paul :wink:

Right on and you can pre-mix as much or as little as you feel comfortable with.

Yup. I keep between 1/2 to 1 gallon of 50% lye solution stored in my Gain detergent bottle at any one time. :wink: When I get a bit low, I mix up another quart or so of the aloe vera juice, add my silk, stir to dissolve, let cool, then funnel into the cap opening of the Gain bottle.
As long as you keep a container tightly capped, (air tight) you can store without any problems of the solution weakening. :wink:

Paul

rtcp

i'm soooo exicted!

got one more stupid question. what do you mix your lye in? i have a laundry detergent bottle i'm gonna grab for storage. can i mix in there or not a good idea. yeah i know its a dumb question but i had to ask.

went to wally world and got aloe juice, goat milk and went looking for the ball plastic jars that someone mentioned but couldn't find them.

thanks again, will post when i get to soapin'

I mix my lye in an old tupperware pitcher. Got the idea from Paul.
Works really well. You can probably pick them up from any second hand store.

HTH
Laurie

i did it - almost had a calamity

hi there! well i did it. i did the rtcp and it's tucked away in it's mold at this moment!

almost had a flop, tho :oops: , when i measured out my lye i only measured a total of 9.1oz lye solution, so i really had about 4.5oz lye working. NOT 18.2. so i'm whipin' away and my stick blender is getting HOT, so i get another stick blender and whip till that one gets HOT and then it dawns on me, i didn't add enough lye! i measured out another 9.1oz and whipped some more and it started to get thick and trace so i think the crisis has been averted. can't wait to cut it.

it really seemed to be more creamy and very smooth. and it was nice not to have to coordinated temps and i didn't feel as rushed. i put my additives in while i was whipping the oils before i added lye solution.

soapmaker man, if this was your creation/invention, you are a genius!!!!

Not RTCP in general, but this way; using everything at room tempatures was. I have been finding success for a year now doing this version of RTCP. Glad you found this method working well for you also. :D

Paul

Delta, I did exactly what you did once(only adding half). I didn't realize it until it was in the mold and I saw that it had a thick layer of oil on it.

Of course I had to rebatch and add the other half. It actually turned out great. My friends really liked it. But I still hope to never do that again.

Well glad you got to try it out. Isn't it great?

Laurie

Back