RTCP - Please! -- Tutorial added.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Paul, I have posted a few pics in the Project Forum in the past. If I knew how to put the link here I would. Thank you for asking and thank you for turning alot of us onto RTCP.

Laurie

rtcp - sticky

when i cut my 1st batch of rtcp i noticed that it was kind of sticky. i didn't water discount, does that matter? do you water discount with rtcp? or was it my recipe? should i take these questions to the general soap chat areaor is it ok to continue this thread here?

thanks and have a great weekend. i hope to play with some more rtcp soap! :D and finsih a pantry i started building and cut grass and work in the garden and ......

I have had batches that are sticky and batches that aren't sticky using RTCP. I'm not entirely sure but it could be my batches that don't gell that have been sticky. But it could also be the combination of oils, not sure.

You can definitely water discount. I know because I did it by accident once. I forgot my gm which was about half the liquids. The soap got hard almost instantly but the end result was just like my other soaps. Probably could use it sooner.

I do not water discount if I want to swirl in color. I do find with RTCP that I get trace very quickly.

HTH
Laurie

Interesting posts

You all make me feel old. :lol:

I had to look at a acronym whet to see what in the world RTCP was and found I had been doing this for a decade. Found it works best if you don't use a lot of solvent extracted oils like soy, corn, etc. :wink:

Anyone besides me put together hot lard and hot lye-water solution? Did
this when my (now grown) daughter needed to make a totem poll for one of her school projects. Worked great. All you need to do is add the hot lye solution very slowly to the hot oils and have a crock pot large enough to
only be half full. Isn't experimentation fun? :p

1st rtcp results

well i am tickled with my first batch of rtcp. i was getting some wierd things happening in the corners of my soap. it would be a different color and texture, squishy. i didn't notice that with this rtcp batch. this batch seems to have a nicer texture than my other soaps. it's much, much smoother, i really like the look and soap ain't bad either! :lol:

soapmaker man, I really like your RTCP tutorial. Although I am still trying to grasp the lye solution amounts, to just clarify for instance, the amount of lye needed in a recipe is always doubled right? For instance like you mentioned if a recipe says 10 oz. of lye I would use 20 oz. of lye solution. Or if a recipe says 8 oz. of lye I would use 16 oz. lye solution, etc. Am I on the right track. Still trying to figure out why its doubled. I figured the other amounts out for the remaining liquid. But just had to clarify the doubling of the lye amounts.
thanks so much for all of your help, as well as the others who made it clearer as well.

i had trouble with the lye amounts too. you are on the right track, soapmaker man, please verify. what i gather is this, you have to double the solution in order to get the full amount of lye as if you were using lye in the 'old' way. and by that i mean measuring 10 oz dry lye, for example, and adding to your total water amt. so with the solution way and the same recipe you measure 20oz lye solution (then you have the strength of the 10oz ly), then add your extra water. when i first started rtcp i forgot that and didnt add enough lye solution and my batches wouldn't come together. after a few of those i got it! :wink:

good luck!

thanks delta soap diva, I think I got it......so because its a 50/50 solution, the lye say 10 oz. will have 10 oz. amt. of water added to it, making it 20 oz. total solution. Is my thinking right.......

if your original recipe called for 10oz dry lye, your rtcp recipe would call for 20oz of 50/50 lye solution. that's becuase that 20oz solution would contain 10oz lye and 10oz water. if you only used 10oz of a 50/50 lye solution you would essentially have 5oz lye.

does that help? it was confusing for me too. but then i got it and you will too! :)

yep, thanks delta soap diva, that's exactly as I thought. I understand it now & you have clarified it even better for me. Appreciate your help very much. Must try this method now....it sounds so much easier & faster. :p

I just molded my very first RTCP batch and I think this will be my new favorite method of soaping. Thanks for the great instructions Paul from another soap maker man... and thanks to everyone else who contributed.

One small question...
I used distilled water for my lye but I like the idea of aloe juice. Where does anyone get theirs. I refuse to shop at Walmart for humanitarian reasons but is there anywhere else locally I should look or is it better to buy online?

Re: rtcp

delta soap diva said:
i'm soooo exicted!

got one more stupid question. what do you mix your lye in? i have a laundry detergent bottle i'm gonna grab for storage. can i mix in there or not a good idea. yeah i know its a dumb question but i had to ask.

went to wally world and got aloe juice, goat milk and went looking for the ball plastic jars that someone mentioned but couldn't find them.

thanks again, will post when i get to soapin'
Just want to say I love your web site.
Mary :lol:

Latest posts

Back