RTCP Help ~ problem with batch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right - but it's not unsafe. As long as you have enough liquid to dissolve the lye in - it's safe. I know that soapcalc says it's not but it is fairly antiquated when it comes to some things.

I also do multiple colors and swirls at a 50% lye discount. I know some soapers that can do 4-5 colors at this discount. It's not easy at first - it just takes practice. And a great deal of organization. But once I got used to moving fast it wasn't an issue. And when I say fast - I still mix for 5 minutes to trace. It depends on the recipe. Using full water - my recipes takes twice that long to trace.

I soap with RT oils and my liquids are solid ice when I mix with the lye. This may afford me more time.

I put the mix in a double boiler and heated it for about 1/2 hour (around midnight) and it finally mixed together, a full trace! Looked like apple sauce (smooth though!). I poured it back into my mold and it looked fine this morning before I left for work, nice and firm. I will unmold and cut it tonight.
Thanks for everyone's help, esp. Paul!
I am thinking it may have not come to a full trace, but maybe overheated, who knows.
Thanks again,
Jeff

Back