Roundish soap-how do I make that?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are plenty of silicone molds out there to purchase. Amazon for example has a wide selection. You could also use a pringles can if you are looking for a circle soap.
Kinda tough to put together the proper search terms to get what I'm looking for without getting lost in the weeds. So basically what I'm looking for is something that can recreate a zest or coast bar without sharp edges. A 3D oval. There are tons of round but flat molds out there. The closest I've seen are the stone molds, looking for something more uniform tho.

I have that mold, and love the shape of the soap bar — it looks elegant, and is a nice size for my hands (which are not large). I wonder if it might be too tapered at the ends, compared to commercial soap bars? (but it's been so long since I bought those I'm not sure I recall correctly!) The mold itself is great, made of thick silicone and not floppy at all. However, something like this one from Etsy popped into my head from Johnez's description: 6 Cavities Basic Oval Silicone Soap Mold Oval Soap Mold - Etsy

il_794xN.1445848662_3vyz.jpg
Good luck finding just what you want! You could spend years looking at all the molds on aliexpress...

I bought these last week:
https://www.amazon.it/Stampo-per-torta-in-silicone/dp/B08GLT1DPJ
I tried really hard to get rounded molds that were oval shaped but not flat. These were the only ones I found, and came with a lot of extras I didn’t need. They also turned out to be extremely flimsy, so I’m a bit skeptical.

Otherwise, I’m really happy with these half sphere molds also used for cakes:
CFEEDFCA-4EDB-4232-A297-6594E93CBABA.jpeg

They come in different sizes, I have 7 cm; found it in a store for cooking supplies.
Semi spheres are really cool, because they have a property of “unstable equilibrium” which means that you can balance them on their round tip, and they might wobble but they won’t flip over. So you have the least amount of surface area possible touching the soap holder, and the water can just dry off. They’re also nice to handle; as a body soap you can cradle the curved part in your hand and use the flat part to clean. Highly recommend 👍

I have that mold, and love the shape of the soap bar — it looks elegant, and is a nice size for my hands (which are not large). I wonder if it might be too tapered at the ends, compared to commercial soap bars? (but it's been so long since I bought those I'm not sure I recall correctly!) The mold itself is great, made of thick silicone and not floppy at all. However, something like this one from Etsy popped into my head from Johnez's description: 6 Cavities Basic Oval Silicone Soap Mold Oval Soap Mold - Etsy

il_794xN.1445848662_3vyz.jpg
Good luck finding just what you want! You could spend years looking at all the molds on aliexpress...
This is almost exactly what I'm looking for.

Hi, is the interior of the Pringle can aluminum? If yes do you use a liner? Thank you
I don't know what it's made of. I've actually never used a pringles can, but I have a few stashed to try it some time. I've heard that some people line them, some don't. I hear that freezer paper works well. Or if you opt for no liner, you can just peel the can off to get the soap out.

Kinda tough to put together the proper search terms to get what I'm looking for without getting lost in the weeds. So basically what I'm looking for is something that can recreate a zest or coast bar without sharp edges. A 3D oval. There are tons of round but flat molds out there. The closest I've seen are the stone molds, looking for something more uniform tho.
You'll be able to produce a bar that is oval on one side, but flat on the other, but you have to realize that commercial soaps are stamped pressed in a hydraulic mold.

Have you seen the cavity molds that have a flange/lip around the perimeter? Like this (look closely at the third photo). I’ve been looking for an oval version forever. If anyone ever finds one, please let me know!

Have you seen the cavity molds that have a flange/lip around the perimeter? Like this (look closely at the third photo). I’ve been looking for an oval version forever. If anyone ever finds one, please let me know!
These are the ones I posted before, from Italian Amazon:
https://www.amazon.it/Stampo-per-torta-in-silicone/dp/B08GLT1DPJ?tag=forumyield-20
image.jpg

They’re very flimsy molds but they’re the right shape with the lip. I made my first batch only a couple weeks ago so haven’t had the chance to try and use them yet. Somehow, the bottom tends to cave upward forming a little dent in the soap, so think I need some creative rack solution to suspend each cavity from the sides. If there’s higher quality ones out there I’d also love to know.

Latest posts

Back