Round 2 - SoapmakingFriend.com

Discussion in 'SoapmakingFriend.com Support Forum' started by Admin, Oct 17, 2018.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 18, 2018 #41

chela1261

chela1261

chela1261

Another question: What do I do to get it on my phone? I can access it on my kindle, did a search in the iPhone app store but nothing
    Thanks!

2. Oct 19, 2018 #42

lshone

lshone

lshone

Lifetime Supporter

How about a change log so we know what's changed?

NsMar42111 likes this.
  3. Oct 19, 2018 #43

Soapaddict_Kay

Soapaddict_Kay

Soapaddict_Kay

Sorry been so behind with soaping, too much homework (working on ACtivity Director Certification) and can’t really relax with soaps right now - but from a quip look through I am quite impressed- has all I need and not too intimidating for a somewhat newbie! Will try to really use it on Saturday

4. Oct 19, 2018 #44

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

How long it could last, sans all other conditions
    It's for those who know how, so not including me lol it saves time coz you'll have your lye solution premixed. It's always ticked off for me. If you do a search they talk about it around the forum :)
    That should be nice.
    Nopes
    I'm not sure if there's an app but I also use a phone. I open the link on my browser: https://www.soapmakingfriend.com/soap-making-recipe-builder-lye-calculator/#

Not the developer or anything but I hope this helps :)

5. Oct 19, 2018 #45

CaraBou

CaraBou

CaraBou

Lifetime Supporter

Thanks for your work, Keith & company!

I think section 3 should not be labeled as "liquids". After all, liquid is just a fluid state of matter (as opposed to a solid or a gas). Fragrances are liquids, and most oils are too. Even lard and coconut oil, which are typically in solid form in my temperate climate, become liquid when I melt them. I think what we need here is something to indicate the water soluble portions. Maybe something like: Water and Water Substitutes. That doesn't seem right either, but maybe someone else will peg it.

6. Oct 19, 2018 #46

Lankan

Lankan

Lankan

Hi, I've registered myself and added some custom additives yesterday. Now when I tried to click and amend the description of the additives the edit button is no longer working. I was able to edit yesterday.

7. Oct 19, 2018 #47

MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm

And TaDa!!! There it is!! Thanks!!

amd likes this.
  8. Oct 19, 2018 #48

fullmetal.dovah

fullmetal.dovah

fullmetal.dovah

I seriously think I'm in love. I am really bad at math. Scarily bad. And just being able to resize a batch depending on dimensions is more than fabulous! The only suggestion I have is maybe being able to resize to a mold with several cavities. Ie: I need to calculate how much batter I need to fill one mold with 6 cavities. I can see how much I need for one cavity and then times everything by 6 but it would be nice to have the calculation done for me but at this point, something like that is pretty trivial. So awesome! Thanks!

KimT2au likes this.
  9. Oct 19, 2018 #49

fullmetal.dovah

fullmetal.dovah

fullmetal.dovah

Have you tried using the seeing impaired verification option?

10. Oct 19, 2018 #50

Yooper

Yooper

Yooper

It's not an app- but you can use any browser on any phone to access it.

I'll ask about that.

We've had quite a few discussions about that topic! We originally had "water", but that's not correct as people may use milk, beer, aloe juice, wine, etc. So we decided on 'liquids' for lack of a better description. If someone comes up with a better and concise term, I'm sure it would be used!

11. Oct 19, 2018 #51

KimT2au

KimT2au

KimT2au

You bet they die Supporting Member

Firstly, Thank you so much for all the work in developing this calculator. I am under no illusions as to how much work is involved. I just adore the new layout, the look is lovely and clear and really easy to follow. I love the fact that you can put in your mould dimensions and the calculator amends your amounts to fit your mould. Everything worked like a dream for me. The only slight hiccup I had was when I added a custom additive, I have managed to add the same thing three times and now I cannot see how to delete it. I think this is a real winner.

Kim

12. Oct 19, 2018 #52

fullmetal.dovah

fullmetal.dovah

fullmetal.dovah

I'm probably just missing it but can the oils not be edited once the recipe is saved? Or do you just save it with the same name but with the new oils and delete the old one? I have no problem doing that but it may confuse a n00b.

I would also like to able to clickHide the general list of oils when in edit mode (I know it's trivial but everyone else beat me to the good suggestions).

13. Oct 20, 2018 #53

TeresaGG

TeresaGG

TeresaGG

How is that done?

14. Oct 20, 2018 #54

SeattleMartin

SeattleMartin

SeattleMartin

Supporting Member

Oh! new thread. Dangit.

well then please allow me to apologize for not realizing we were in the 2.0 thread. I'm a little bit old and slow sometimes :D

I love how this is going. The look and feel on PC is unrivaled in my opinion. I love the changes and the direction. The recipe on the right is top notch. Brilliant and responsive.
    I like the colors well enough, very neutral and easy, but I would also love a dark theme.
    Google login seems to be functional but a bit confusing, possibly streamline the process a little more to give users a bit more feedback, especially when creating the soapmakingfriend moniker after having authorized through facebook.

Moving on,

1) Would love to be able to arrow or tab into the oil selections once I have several option auto-filled from the search bar. For instance: Search for Palm, tab and/or arrow down to select Palm Kernel Oil from the list of possible oils.

2) Inconsistent 100% oil warning when dealing with 0.1 - 0.9% margins (possibly an acceptable range?)

3) May we please have a notes area to type into? (possibly planned already? also, thank you for the notes area on the printed recipe.)

4) After clearing a recipe, previously used oils retain the minus icon on the button. (Make a recipe, save it, clear it, start new recipe and the oils previously used have a minus button.)

Lastly, I did test several recipes in this calc against two other very popular calcs and found all #'s to be very much on par. Slight difference in where rounding happens, but always 10th of a g or % vs 100th of a g or % and personally I feel like the 10th of a g or % is always more than enough. Is there ever really a reason to go to the 100th?

Thanks for all your hard work!

15. Oct 20, 2018 #55

queensoapalot

queensoapalot

queensoapalot

All seems good to me so far. I am just used to soapcalc so it would just be a matter of getting used to this one. Great job and thanks x

16. Oct 20, 2018 #56

TeresaGG

TeresaGG

TeresaGG

I am dissapointed. Now that I've finally been able to login I cannot find any of the regular additives rather than custom additives. I don't know all the information the whole point of having the calculator is to be able to put in citric acid at a certain percentage and have it calculate for me the negative sap and the ammonium as the liquid liquid it's also something that I need and I'm looking for.

17. Oct 20, 2018 #57

NsMar42111

NsMar42111

NsMar42111

Ok, just playing around found a few things:

Need to set parameters on % of lye concentration field (limits). I just did a 250% lye concentration that would require a -3.73 oz of liquid LOL. I don't remember the number but I think it was somewhere around 55% was the highest possible lye concentration? At the least, stop it at 100% and maybe put a warning with something over xx is inputted.

When doing the Fit to Mold option (which I LOVEEE), when I select the oil (in this case 100% coconut) it shows the number as the whole mold size (in this case 40 oz). That said, when you make the recipe, it does adjust it in the final recipe properly-just something to not confuse everyone maybe :).

So far I'm loving this :)

18. Oct 20, 2018 #58

Brik

Brik

Brik

I don't know how to delete replies.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  19. Oct 20, 2018 #59

Brik

Brik

Brik

I was having a hard time creating an account, and trying to use my Google account as a sign in took me to my sync settings for some reason. The actual calculator looks really good, though. I like it better than most of the others I have tried. I would like to be able to scroll through and add what oils I want before having to add the amounts.

20. Oct 21, 2018 #60

Arimara

Arimara

Arimara

Supporting Member

I made an account and so far so good. I like that it is in a little neat package, so to speak.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.