Round 2 - SoapmakingFriend.com

Discussion in 'SoapmakingFriend.com Support Forum' started by Admin, Oct 17, 2018.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 17, 2018 #1

Admin

Admin

Admin

Staff Member Admin

The other thread has gotten quite large and a little intimidating for new users so let's do Round 2.

The URL is; https://www.soapmakingfriend.com/

Please post;

• Questions on how to use the software.
    • Complaints about how it's setup
    • Bugs you have found
    • Features you want to see added!
    Screen shots are a huge help in resolving issues.

NsMar42111, Misschief and amd like this.
  2. Oct 17, 2018 #2

Obsidian

Obsidian

Obsidian

Looks good so far. I'm wondering of there is anyway to set custom defaults for our own account? For example, I always use lye ratio 2:1 and the program default is 2.5:1 so I have to change it every time.

Would be nice to set it to always come up to my preferred numbers, same with fragrance which is currently set to 30 oz/lb, which really should be .50 oz/lb default

CaraBou and SoaperForLife like this.
  3. Oct 17, 2018 #3

gloopygloop

gloopygloop

gloopygloop

Am out of the country at the moment but have had a little play and it’s looking good for my use right now. Will try to “ stress “ it a bit when I can to see if there is anything which could make my life easier.
    So pleased you are doing this by the way.

4. Oct 17, 2018 #4

Victoria Lewis

Victoria Lewis

Victoria Lewis

I love how simple it is to fill in. One thing that doesn't seem to be working for me is the mould capacity calculator. My standard recipe is 1200g oils and fills my mould to just under 7cm. My mould size is 31cm long x 8.25cm wide. The calculator is suggesting that I only need just over 800g of oils to fill this mould to my usual height. I use 33% lye concentration and 7% superfat, both of which are completed correctly.

When I fill in the whole form using 1200g oils, instead of the mould calculator, the numbers all come out as I am used to.

5. Oct 17, 2018 #5

SoapmakingFriend

SoapmakingFriend

SoapmakingFriend

SPONSOR

This is on our to-do list , Thank you!

CaraBou likes this.
  6. Oct 17, 2018 #6

Kristus_Apollo

Kristus_Apollo

Kristus_Apollo

Looks really good! I love the "wizard" style by "step number". I agree with Obsidian. Having a way to save your own defaults would be awesome.

I did encounter one bug. Save a recipe with "Resize your recipe to fit mold size" turned on. Then load a recipe which has it turned off and the unit, shape, length, height, and width entry fields remain visible even though the slider button is in the off position as shown below:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  7. Oct 17, 2018 #7

Northy

Northy

Northy

Hello,
    I'm new to soap making and the forum. I've been using Soapee calculator 'till now and I'm quiet content with it. This new calculator is very similar to the Soapee one, therefore I didn't have difficulties using it and it has all the features I need.
    The only thing that disturbs me a little bit is the font, but it might be a matter of time and i will get use to it.
    Thanks for asking for my opinion.

8. Oct 17, 2018 #8

jules92207

jules92207

jules92207

Lifetime Supporter

Hi! Thanks for all your work on this!

I played with it a little on my phone as I’m at work and I like how easy it is to build a recipe. I did find some structure of the page challenging on my phone which is probably not a challenge on a full computer. When I registered so I could save my recipe I couldn’t scroll down to select the cache button that I’m not a robot till I rotated my screen then when I hit it there was no confirmation I set up my account, so i didn’t know if it worked till I closed the registration page and it showed my recipe was saved.

Not a huge deal but challenging on my phone is all, which I don’t usually use my phone for things like this but thought that prospective might be helpful. IMG_8671.JPG

Admin likes this.
  9. Oct 17, 2018 #9

dschiavo

dschiavo

dschiavo

How are recipe properties accounted for using KOH. I entered a recipe to try, initially with NaoH, hardness is 42, changing the recipe to KOH, hardness remains the same. I would think that should be less? Also, I used oz as my unit of measure, calculations show oz and grams, which is great, is there a way to change the grams to pounds on the display?

10. Oct 17, 2018 #10

Yooper

Yooper

Yooper

That ‘hardness’ stays the same in all calculators, even when making liquid soap. It has to do with the qualities of the oils used, and not whether it’s KOH or NaOH. I know that doesn’t seem right, but it’s more about the oil used and the characteristics they have than an actual ‘hardness’ of the soap itself. I can’t think of a way to really show the softness or thickness of a soft soap or cream soap using KOH.

MullersLaneFarm and dschiavo like this.
  11. Oct 17, 2018 #11

MJSS

MJSS

MJSS

I am enjoying the new soap calculator so far. Easy to use and similar to what I’m used to.

Agree with Obsidian that it would be nice to save personal settings if you’re not currently able to.

I use my phone for everything and I’m having issues registering an account. I know jules92207 said she was able to click the captcha box once she rotated her phone but that isn’t working for me. Hoping I can register at some point.

NsMar42111 likes this.
  12. Oct 17, 2018 #12

SoapmakingFriend

SoapmakingFriend

SoapmakingFriend

SPONSOR

Thank you for your feedback , I couldn't reproduce this with my mobile ( chrome on Android ) .. please let me which browser / OS you are using

13. Oct 17, 2018 #13

Ghost_Wytch

Ghost_Wytch

Ghost_Wytch

- I really like the search function for the oils. I'm impatient and don't like to have to scroll through the long list looking for my particular oils. So this function put a big smile on my face!

- I'm not fond of it changing the list order of the oils after calculation. I like to plug them all into the calculator solids first so that they are listed first. Then when I'm measuring them out they are the first in the pot, they get melted, THEN the liquid oils listed last go in last. SoapCalc leaves them listed the way I plugged them in. But this one scrambles them all up.

- I really like the extensive oils list. And the ability to use it to formulate any kind of soap. And that the setting are pretty much fluid in that the user can change them to experiment with their own formulation.

Overall, I'm really enjoying this calculator. And I think it's coming along very nicely. Thank you for all the hard work and for taking everyone's interests in mind.

Yooper likes this.
  14. Oct 17, 2018 #14

MJSS

MJSS

MJSS

Sorry, I’m using safari on iPhone.

15. Oct 18, 2018 #15

SoapmakingFriend

SoapmakingFriend

SoapmakingFriend

SPONSOR

Thank you for your feedback , ordering oils descending by quantity was a user request .. we could make it optional when we introduce user preferences.

16. Oct 18, 2018 #16

TeresaGG

TeresaGG

TeresaGG

I still cannot register from a cell phone

17. Oct 18, 2018 #17

ewenique

ewenique

ewenique

I use Soapcalc for bar soap. I prefer the oils listed by descending quantity, so I like that set up, but having options for other arrangements would be nice.

When I went to print the recipe, I didn't see a way to name it.

All the empty space on the printed recipe page bothers me for some reason. I would prefer everything to fill the page and look more balanced.

I liked that it was easy to change the liquid and superfat amounts and see the change on the left.

Part of the second zero is missing when the Selected Oils equals 100%.

On the Create an Account form, at the bottom of the form, "account" is missing the n.

NsMar42111 and Admin like this.
  18. Oct 18, 2018 #18

jules92207

jules92207

jules92207

Lifetime Supporter

I’m going to add that I thought I registered because it said my recipe saved but when I tried to login it looks like it didn’t take, it keeps telling me wrong user name/password. I’m also using safari on iPhone

19. Oct 18, 2018 #19

rjalex

rjalex

rjalex

This is looking very very nice hats off.
    I think have more informational/instructional (i) could be good especially for newbies.For examples the sections on Liquids and Superfat could have a little box indicating usual ranges and the effects of going towards the extremes.

Having a way to reorder the oils in the desired sequence could help when mixing them to follow a specific sequence. If this is too difficult at least I'd list the hard/solid ones as such so to help with melting them first.

Maybe a "title" for our soap recipe could be nice in the printout.

I know this is probably difficult, maybe impossible, but when trying out a new recipe I spend too much time fiddling around with relative quantitites of the oils to try hitting correct Recipe Properties. If there was a button to help adjust the relative quantities and optimise it automatically I'd elect you for President ! :)

Thank you

Soapaddict_Kay likes this.
  20. Oct 18, 2018 #20

Sanctuary

Sanctuary

Sanctuary

So far it looks really good!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.