Rosin & resins in products

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawni

Reaction score
Wasn't sure if this is the right place to put this, please move if it isn't :)

I'm restocking on elemi EO, locally produced from local trees - makes for great label appeal I tell you lol - and the place I get it from is currently offering on sale elemi rosin and elemi resin.

Anyone know, in general, what the difference is, in terms of using them in bath & body products, and which is "better?" All I know is that rosins are insoluble in water, and that frankincense is a resin lol. They call elemi the poor man's frankincense btw, but I like how it smells more than Frank.

I want to try a few grams each, if I am able to use them. I'm also going to finally try the carrier oils (which I've posted about more than a year ago I think lol). Going local is a big trend here nowadays, as it should be, and I want in on that. There are very few raw ingredients that are produced locally.
IMG_20201001_112145.jpg
IMG_20201001_112208.jpg

Thank you for any info :)

I'm just following this, unfortunately don't know. The only rosin I know is the one for violin bows... :)
I may be wrong, but it seems to me that resin is more processed. Rosin is just what comes out of the tree (and maybe they evaporate some stuff), while resin is more like a mix of things...
I haven't used either in B&B products, although I have used and like benzoin resinoid, which I *think* is some resin-derivative (it works well and smells great).

Hallo @atiz.. I came across an article on infusing frankincense..... I'm just gonna go do it with some of the resin I have, since I figure it's a similar thing.

The place I got it from says the rosin is "crystalline residues after essential oils have been extracted from the resin" so maybe there isn't much left there to benefit in skincare?

Not sure what to do about the rosin, other than use it as incense but I'm still looking. And yeah.. My son plays violin but his rosin I guess is processed and doesn't look at all like this.

They both smell so nice lol, resin and rosin.

Latest posts

Back