Rosemary Extract vs Vitamin E

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nienna

Reaction score
Ok so doing some research on alternatives to Vitamin E because I cannot be fuffed with this stuff due to its heat intolerance, its making balms just so unenjoyable I want to quit all together. So I came across Rosemary Extract and want to know what people think, is it a good alternative? What is its heat tolerance, does it have to be added when the mixture is much cooler or what?

I add ROE to my master batch of oils because it is easiest that way. The usage rate is so low that mixing it into a bigger batch means that I don’t have to measure such tiny amounts.

You can also add enough to treat each individual entire container of liquid oils when you purchase it. You don’t need to treat the wax, so that leaves only the butters, which IMO aren’t usually in need of antioxidant treatment if they are stored properly.

But if you prefer to treat each batch as you make it, that’s fine, too. 😊 Make sure you have a scale that measures tenths of grams, and remember that going over .1% of your total batch weight could increase rancidity. Notice the decimal - that is 1/10 of 1%. Here is a great article that explains usage rates.

Last edited:
So I came across Rosemary Extract and want to know what people think, is it a good alternative? What is its heat tolerance, does it have to be added when the mixture is much cooler or what?
I have been adding antioxidant ROE (and vitamin E ) to my oils ever since I first started soaping in 2003. FWIW: I've never experienced DOS or soda ash. I use it in soap and other products as well. It's a good thing!

(See PDF attached).

Since it is so thick and viscuous, to make it "user friendly", I make up a small batch to keep handy it in my soaping box.

1 oz ROE in
2 oz Jojoba Oil (or FCO)
Use: 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon PPO

Jojoba oil has a long shelf life. FCO also works.
The use rate is small so it lasts a long time.

Attachments

• ROE.pdf
    847 KB · Views: 0
I add ROE to my master batch of oils because it is easiest that way. The usage rate is so low that mixing it into a bigger batch means that I don’t have to measure such tiny amounts.

You can also add enough to treat each individual entire container of liquid oils when you purchase it. You don’t need to treat the wax, so that leaves only the butters, which IMO aren’t usually in need of antioxidant treatment if they are stored properly.

But if you prefer to treat each batch as you make it, that’s fine, too. 😊 Make sure you have a scale that measures tenths of grams, and remember that going over .1% of your total batch weight could increase rancidity. Notice the decimal - that is 1/10 of 1%. Here is a great article that explains usage rates.

I need it for a product I plan on selling and if it works I would be making it up in bigger batches since one batch only does 3 tins. Can I add it to my balm at a higher temperature than vitamin e? That is important, I don't want to have to cool down the liquid balm as much as working with vitamin e as it is really frustrating and I am not doing well with it.

I have been adding antioxidant ROE (and vitamin E ) to my oils ever since I first started soaping in 2003. FWIW: I've never experienced DOS or soda ash. I use it in soap and other products as well. It's a good thing!

(See PDF attached).

Since it is so thick and viscuous, to make it "user friendly", I make up a small batch to keep handy it in my soaping box.

1 oz ROE in
2 oz Jojoba Oil (or FCO)

Jojoba oil has a long shelf life. FCO also works.

Thanks for the info sheet, I do believe the extract I am looking at is already in sunflower oil.

Can I add it to my balm at a higher temperature than vitamin e?
Actually, both @AliOop and I were talking about adding it to soap and to oils to extend shelf life.

For balms, I use both vitamin E and ROE in one of my lip balms that contains beeswax. Since beeswax has a very high melt temp, I would melt it along with other oils/butters in the recipe, then add the antioxidants after the wax/oils cool down a bit.

The pour temp for my lip balm containers is 160°F (71°C)

It would be helpful to know the ingredients of the balm you are making.

ETA: Never mind. I just found your other thread.

Last edited:

(See PDF attached).

1 oz ROE in
2 oz Jojoba Oil (or FCO)

Jojoba oil has a long shelf life. FCO also works rosemary supplement.
Where would I buy Rosemary extract to keep baked goods fresh? And how do I know how much I'm supposed to use? And can I use some regular old lemon juice for freshness or do I need to buy actual citric acid powder or some kind of extract?

Where would I buy Rosemary extract to keep baked goods fresh? And how do I know how much I'm supposed to use? And can I use some regular old lemon juice for freshness or do I need to buy actual citric acid powder or some kind of extract?
Since your question is not about soap or body care products, you might want to start a new thread to ask that question in the Food & Spirits Recipe section of the forum. That way, people who are knowledgeable about and interested in recipes, etc., will be more likely to see it and answer.

While both Vitamin E and rosemary extract have antioxidant properties and can help protect your skincare and cosmetic products from oxidation, they may not be direct substitutes for each other due to differences in their properties and potential additional benefits.

If you're considering substituting one for the other in a specific skincare or cosmetic recipe, you should keep in mind the preservation and skin benefits.

Whether you can substitute rosemary extract for Vitamin E depends on the specific formulation and the role that Vitamin E plays in your product. You may need to adjust the formulation and potentially use both ingredients if you want to maintain the benefits of Vitamin E and incorporate the antioxidant properties of rosemary extract.

While both Vitamin E and rosemary extract have antioxidant properties and can help protect your skincare and cosmetic products from oxidation, they may not be direct substitutes for each other due to differences in their properties and potential additional benefits.

If you're considering substituting one for the other in a specific skincare or cosmetic recipe, you should keep in mind the preservation and skin benefits.

Whether you can substitute rosemary extract for Vitamin E depends on the specific formulation and the role that Vitamin E plays in your product rosemary supplement. You may need to adjust the formulation and potentially use both ingredients if you want to maintain the benefits of Vitamin E and incorporate the antioxidant properties of rosemary extract.
I noticed this preservative in a few of the things I buy and was wondering if its long-term safety is known at this time. Have there been any studies on it?

I noticed this preservative in a few of the things I buy and was wondering if its long-term safety is known at this time. Have there been any studies on it?
Neither is a preservative, but yes both have been studied. Remember too Rosemary's millenia of food use.

Latest posts

Back