rosemary essential oil toxic?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hempsju

Reaction score
Hello Experts,
I did not know that rosemary essential oil came with so many warnings. Can someone enlighten me as to whether or not it's safe to use in cold process soap or is it avoided altogether due to the potentially toxic and adverse reactionary nature...
Thanks, and blessings,

Julia

Many essential oils come with warnings. They are highly concentrated plants oils, with many active compounds, which makes it important to understand safe usage rates. lsg has linked a site that will get you started and EOCalc.com provides information on safe usage rates in blends based on IFRA guidelines. Tisserand and Young’s book Essential Oil Safety is the bible for many who use EOs. It’s a bit pricey, but very useful to have on hand.

Rosemary oil is one of the safer EO's to use
Many essential oils come with warnings. They are highly concentrated plants oils, with many active compounds, which makes it important to understand safe usage rates. lsg has linked a site that will get you started and EOCalc.com provides information on safe usage rates in blends based on IFRA guidelines. Tisserand and Young’s book Essential Oil Safety is the bible for many who use EOs. It’s a bit pricey, but very useful to have on hand.
To be honest, sometimes it's worth shelling out a little extra $$ if we can for information that would benefit us greatly in the long run. I needed to update that Essential Oil Safety book I have since I bought it as a teen/young adult and I'm a couple of years shy of 40 now.

Rosemary oil is one of the safer EO's to use

To be honest, sometimes it's worth shelling out a little extra $$ if we can for information that would benefit us greatly in the long run. I needed to update that Essential Oil Safety book I have since I bought it as a teen/young adult and I'm a couple of years shy of 40 now.
I agree. I ordered the book as soon as I began to realize the complexities of EO usage rates.

I use it often in soap, but I warn people that it can cause seizures for those with epilepsy and other seizure disorders. I don't think there's enough in my soap to trigger that, but I don't want to find out the hard way!

Rosemary is a pretty safe oil to use. All EO come with a lot of warnings. IMO it is one of the safest, aside from anybody with an allergy to it. I put it up there with Lavender and Tea Tree, on the safe-list.

I use it often in soap, but I warn people that it can cause seizures for those with epilepsy and other seizure disorders. I don't think there's enough in my soap to trigger that, but I don't want to find out the hard way!
IMO, people with sensitivities usually know what triggers it. Well, they should anyway. If I list what is in the product, then it's their responsibility. Again, IMO.

And I didn't know rosemary triggers seizures. That, along with tea tree, are in a lot of hair products to promote "hair growth".

And there are a lot of cross sensitivities...Chamomile is related to ragweed.

Ppl allergic to xmas trees are allergic to pine tar LOL (inside joke for anybody else reading LOL)

Most plants are producing EOs to scare off herbivores, so this stuff actually just does its job when being dangerous. If you want so, they're Nature's own pesticides. (Though, it remains an open question why we humans actually like the smell of so many of them.)

Back