Rosehips

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Am still not over the excitement of using my poe-fessional cutter and cut my rosehips soap. If you haven't used rosehips, it's trippy! You can see the rim of the soap is brick red. Over the next couple of hours that color will go inward. EDITTop photo is an hour ago, 2nd photo is just now. I need a timelapse camera -- trippy I tell you!
20200913_110431.jpg
20200913_122939.jpg
20200913_105316.jpg
And does anyone else see the Partridge Family? :)download.jpg

Last edited:
I'm always looking for new natural additives to try Zing - thanks for the post!

What do you mean by "that color will go inward" - I don't follow?

And since every computer and/pic renders colors different...are your soaps still red? I wonder if they'll stay that color.

Tell me about rosehip oil, what kind of cosmetics and what quality does it add?
We have some good good friends who are super granola-y and they harvest their own rosehips from their garden to add to their soap. I'm not there yet. :)

What do you mean by "that color will go inward" - I don't follow?
I wish I was a better photographer. We can't all be like @KiwiMoose .

So look at the bars that have the single swirl. The uncolored part is the top of the bar. The rosehip color is the bottom of the bar. Look at my first photo. If you look close at the left, bottom, and right sides is a thin border of brick red like 1/8" thick. The rest of the bar is more pink-y. Over the next couple of hours that brick red travels inward until it is all brick red. Then it stays that color of brick red.

Tell me about rosehip oil, what kind of cosmetics and what quality does it add?
We have some good good friends who are super granola-y and they harvest their own rosehips from their garden to add to their soap. I'm not there yet. :)

Rosehip seed oil is often used for 'anti aging' type applications, and is often thought to help with healing and skin issues in general. It is a very 'dry' oil and is best suited for oily skin when used alone. It absorbs into the skin super quickly leaving little to no residue. If I use it on my dry skin, I still feel parched within a few minutes of applying it.

I haven't tried it in soaping yet.

I have also used rosehip oil in a face cream -- it was lovely. But it's too expensive to soap with it.
But I really like this soap @Zing. Did you just add the powder at trace? Have you ever tried making an oil infusion from it? Do you think it would work?

I have some rose hips powder that I was given, but haven’t used it as far as I remember. Do you find it to be scratchy, and what amount do you use? I like the look of speckles in soap and yours is lovely. And so perfectly cut too ;)

I have also used rosehip oil in a face cream -- it was lovely. But it's too expensive to soap with it.
But I really like this soap @Zing. Did you just add the powder at trace? Have you ever tried making an oil infusion from it? Do you think it would work?
I add the powder at trace with my essential oils. I have not done an infusion. That sounds like, um, work. :)
I have some rose hips powder that I was given, but haven’t used it as far as I remember. Do you find it to be scratchy, and what amount do you use? I like the look of speckles in soap and yours is lovely. And so perfectly cut too ;)
I use 3/4 teaspoon per pound of oils. I have read the warnings about scratchiness but I've used this proportion before and not noticed any scratchiness. The thing is, it is not like other colorants. When you first put it in, the batter can look uncolored and plain and you have to resist the temptation to add more. The color comes into itself after the cut. Have I said it's trippy??!!

I add the powder at trace with my essential oils. I have not done an infusion. That sounds like, um, work. :)

I use 3/4 teaspoon per pound of oils. I have read the warnings about scratchiness but I've used this proportion before and not noticed any scratchiness. The thing is, it is not like other colorants. When you first put it in, the batter can look uncolored and plain and you have to resist the temptation to add more. The color comes into itself after the cut. Have I said it's trippy??!!
Thank you! I will give it a try. I’d read it is scratchy too, which is probably why I never used it. I like trippyo_O

I've used rosehip powder as a colorant in soap a few times. I didn't find it particularly scratchy either, but like Zing, I didn't load the soap up with the powder either. Just used enough to get a nice speckled pinky-red color.

I see the partridge! Lol cute soaps Mr. Zing :)

@Zing. Did you just add the powder at trace? Have you ever tried making an oil infusion from it? Do you think it would work?
I have rosehips infusing in olive oil that I wanted to soap with - no color. Granted, its mixed with other stuff and might be too less, but yeah, not even a hint in mine.

I wonder if the color will come later too lol maybe I should use that infusion soon....

I happened to be looking through my "bone pile" today (soap samples I've kept over the years to see how they age). I found a sample of the soap with rosehip powder and thought of this thread. The soap is over 7 years old now. Eek -- how time flies.

I used about 1 1/2 tsp rosehip powder per pound of fats (or per 500 grams of fats). The soap was a simple in the pot design with about 1/3 plain batter, 1/3 batter colored with cocoa powder, and 1/3 with rosehip. The rosehip powder has aged over the years from a pinky-red to a rosy light-to-medium brown, so the rosehip color doesn't stay true to the original color (even though stored in the dark all that time), but it has aged gracefully and still looks nice.

Back