Rose Wax

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not going for the scent... believe it or not... but the properties of the wax itself...

I find the hydrosol and wax component far more therapeutic than the oil for this flower... Personally I don't care for the scent of roses... but my icky skin loves what rose can do for it...

That's very interesting! Makes me curious to try out rose wax as well ;)
I don't have any experience with liquid soap and I only reacted because I made a rose scented soap and thought that was your goal with this soap as well.
On the website of the supplier I normally order my soaping stuff from, it sais that rose wax can be used as a substitute for beeswax in cosmetics or if you want to use it in soap, you need to add 20g for 1kg of soap batter. I think that's about 2/3 of an ounce for 2 pounds of soap or 2%. If I'm not mistaken, liquid soap can be made with up to 3% SF, so I guess you could try adding the rose wax as a 2% SF after saponification? Since it sais 2% of the soap batter and not soaping oils, you might even need less than 2% SF.
Good luck with your experiment! I hope you find a way to get the rose wax incorporated in the soap to get the qualities you're looking for!

Rose as a scent is tricky to hold over time... I am currently experimenting with perfumers alcohol to fix something that smells like my idea of spring, the mid note is lily of the valley; another notoriously hard fragrance to fix. If I can get a fix then it is only a matter to putting the perfume into the trace and be extra careful about the temps because the alcohol will ignite (not so much a hazard for the batch of soap - definitely a hazard for the house!)

Rose is a softener and has great balancing properties that are lost to the wax or hydrosol. So rose oil works with aroma and aromatherapy, it still has qualities of the wax or hydrosol but not as much.

And just so you all know the preceding statement is yet another IMHO moment... I could be full of poo for saying that... ;-)

I know a lot, I not know everything. :)

Alcohol can also cause seizing. Also, liquid soap can’t test neutral it would separate. Will always be 8.5-11 or so.

Well, that explains much... so the lye calc was off on the recipe I tried. Time to try another batch, armed with a little more knowledge!

I may just weigh the loose oil and try rebatching with a bit more lye... I would think the soap is lost so, it might as well become a learning experience.

Thank you.

Hi all!
Just wondering if anyone here had experience in adding rose wax to their soaps. I cannot find any 'intel' if it has a SAP value so I am assuming not. I added it to a batch of cream soap over the weekend and it is separting. No big; the stuff on the top will make amazing shave cream... once I get the two apart I will have a look as to what the oily stuff wants to do and use it up accordingly.

I am thinking I might have one of two issues going on here;
1- dummy here forgot to check the temp and may have emulsified at too low of a temp (note to self; stop talking to the best friends kid and pay attention next time)
2- the rose wax did something to me that someone here might be aware of.
TIA
Ingrid
I always use rose water in my rose soap instead of water with dried rose petal powder .
IMG-20181020-WA0078.jpg

Latest posts

Back