Rose infused cp soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want to use the rose petals you can dry them and put them on the top of the soap. Where the soap and the petal touch will go brown but some of the petal (not touching the soap) will retain its color. Its very hard to get a scent with rose petals that most people can smell. We are trained to expect in your face scents to the point that very light scents dont interest people much and their expectation is they will get a decent rose smell. You can use the rose water and use less eo or absolute to bump up the rose water scent - that will cut your cost and give you some expected scent as well.

Plants in soap are wonderful, frustrating but wonderful and they can really test your patience and understanding. Once you work out which plants like to be used in what way to give their best, it makes soaping a lot of fun. Still can be VERY surprising hahahaha and yes red is the hardest of all colors to achieve. I have been chasing it for quite a few years and finally am happy with what I have but want to watch what it does over 12 months before I say "Eureka"!

yes red is the hardest of all colors to achieve. I have been chasing it for quite a few years and finally am happy with what I have
That's good news! If anyone can, you can, Jo! Wishing you the best of luck and looking forward to results!

It's been over 10 years since I went down that particular rabbit hole. Beet root powder and rose hips gave lovely colors that sadly turned brown in CP in no time at all. I also tried sweet red pepper oil infusion but the result was orange. :(

Cochneal Extract Powder wasn't available back then but I might be tempted to try it now that it is more easily sourced. 🤔

ETA: I almost forgot. I'm drawn to Himalyan Rhubarb Root powder from Tellervo Soapmaking YT Channel as a possible red? Fast forward to 5:00 minutes to see how the color comes alive after adding NaOH solution...

Last edited:
That's good news! If anyone can, you can! Wishing you the best of luck and looking forward to results!

It's been over 10 years since I went down that particular rabbit hole. Beet root powder and rose hips gave lovely colors that sadly turned brown in CP in no time at all. I also tried sweet red pepper oil infusion but the result was orange. :(

Cochneal Extract Powder wasn't available back then but I might be tempted to try it now that it is more easily sourced. 🤔
Try madder root powder
Add it to the lye mixture
You will get a light to deep pink/red colour that will last without much fading

Try madder root powder
Add it to the lye mixture
You will get a light to deep pink/red colour that will last without much fading
If you use the search bar, you will see that we have quite a few threads here on using madder, including pictures of some pretty well-conducted tests. Results are not consistent across the board, and seem to vary by recipe, and maybe even phase of the moon.;)

I've never seen madder give a true red like what is being discussed above - it's always slightly dusky, and leaning more pink or orange.

I just posted this Tutorial from Tanya of Lovely Greens.
Gorgeous PINK color -- close but no cigar. :D
rhubarb-soap-recipe-150x150.jpg

BTW, I think Tanya learned just about everything she knows about natural colorants from @curlycoat2 aka Jo Haslauer. :nodding:

Thanks for sharing that, @Zany_in_CO. I agree that Himalayan rhubarb, as well as cochineal, seem to get much closer to a true red than any other natural colorants. Perhaps combining them and adding a smidge of AC would do the trick?

Back