Rose Absolute EXPENSIVE!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikolye

Reaction score
I have a very beautiful very expensive Rose oil.

I actually got given a empty bulk storage bottle, tipped it upside down for two hours and got two mls out of it which is worth hundreds of $$.

I have been infusing olive oil in the empty bottle for months and the olive oil smells divine on its own, without the extra 2 mls i set aside.

This rose is used in a carrier direct to the face in general. so this idea sounds ludicrous.

yes, I'm considering using it in soap!!:shock:

The plan is to use the infused olive oil as just over half my oils (i only have 275g of infused oil) and scent the soap with the two mls of rose as well, possibly a ml or two of other florals to enhance it(palmrosa, geranium, rosewood, ylang ylang are options) which could potentially drown out the rose..... so basically a one pound/500g luxury batch for a couple Christmas gifts. There is some risk here of course... a few mls of delicate scent may not come through a 500g batch and the olive oils only being half the oils may not be enough... or other scents could drown it out if i try to bulk it up with them.

What i should do is put it in a lovely butter and use it direct, then just use the olive oil in a small batch with the other florals.:think:

What i want to do being the soaper that I am... well..... :mrgreen: I know this is a silly idea and my chances of beautiful Rose soap are bad, so.. Go ahead, talk me out of it then!!!

Last edited:
Hi, don't wanna rain on your parade but here's something to consider:
I have bought handmade rose EO soap ( as seller claims ) for roughly USD$15 a pop. Please notice it's a teeny tiny 50 gram soap. Yeah silly me!!! Only to find out it's probably not steam distilled EO, not solvent extracted Absolute, but JUST floral wax. ( absolute is extracted from cheaper floral wax )

Why on earth did I find out I was conned??? Because I find bits of unmelted / unincorporated floral wax in my deluxe facial soap!

And I have bought rose absolute and use it in my handmade facial lotion. So Devine! As a fellow soaper, I suggest DO NOT use expensive absolute in soap. Because you'll never know if it will survive LYE MONSTER. And there goes your money down the drain.
Please start with floral wax. Use absolute in Leave-On product for the best bang of the buck.

alchemistsgrove.blogspot.tw/2012/07/testing-floral-waxes-in-soap.html?m=1

But I think it's best NOT to melt the wax On It's Own. Maybe melt it with some of your oils. So it does not evaporate/ dissipate due to too high a temperature. Or just cold process it, stickblend it with oils without heating it.

ETA: forgot to mention that expensive Darn-I-am-dumb-&-conned soap was made with LOTS of soft oils ( olive, almond& something I don't recall ) it is LITERALLY melting away SOON down the drain!!! And **** GOOEY & SNOTTY!!!

So if you do decide use absolute infused olive oil in soap, remember use lots of Hard oil so it last longer. ( long lasting number= hardness- cleansing ) ( using soap calc number)

Last edited:
Me again! Haha!
Just find out Camden Gray & From nature with love both carries floral wax! Other supplier carries it or not, I'm not sure.

Camden gray has some using floral wax in soap info on this page.

www.camdengrey.com/essential-oils/Floral-Waxes/

Whether which way you decide to go, Please do share your experiment expensive with us! :D

ETA : I just find out you seem to get it free, so...do whatever you want ( kidding! Whipped butter or facial lotion with it is extremely luxurious! )

And ylang ylang is very LOUD, if you want to mix it with rose and still smell the rose, tone down the ylang ylang portion. ( not quite sure how it is in soap. I have only use it in lotion )

Lavender, citrus anything ( I have tried Orange, bergamot, grapefruit, & lemon )smells great with rose. Just a bit of mint can tone down powdery rose fragrance oil, so maybe will work great with absolute too.)

Rose geranium and rosewood goes well with rose . My facial lotion uses these three EO & citrus, lavender, frankincense and some other EO. just a smidgen rosewood cause as base note it is strong. Though not as strong as sandalwood.

Last edited:
I use floral wax to make a natural solid perfume that I really like!

Sorry for the hijack, but I just can't help myself...
Does your solid perfume recipe contains beeswax?
Is it possible do it without beeswax? I don't like the waxy, draggy feeling in high beeswax % lip balms.

Is it possible do it without beeswax? I don't like the waxy, draggy feeling in high beeswax % lip balms.

There are several different waxes out ther besides beeswax. Soy, Rice Bran, sunflower and Candelilla that I'm aware of. You would need to test them to get the right formula for your product. Candelilla is hard than beeswax I believe and I'm sure soy would be quite a bit softer.

There are several different waxes out ther besides beeswax. Soy, Rice Bran, sunflower and Candelilla that I'm aware of. You would need to test them to get the right formula for your product. Candelilla is hard than beeswax I believe and I'm sure soy would be quite a bit softer.

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it! :D <3

1/8 ounce Beeswax or Floral Wax
1/2 ounce Jojoba
7 drops Essential Oil

I think I used 1/2 beeswax and 1/2 floral wax. To me, the scent of floral wax is pretty strong. Maybe try 1/2 soy wax. IIRC, candilla wax and carnauba wax have a higher melting point than beeswax, so you may need to add a smaller amount, like maybe 1/3.

1/8 ounce Beeswax or Floral Wax
1/2 ounce Jojoba
7 drops Essential Oil

I think I used 1/2 beeswax and 1/2 floral wax. To me, the scent of floral wax is pretty strong. Maybe try 1/2 soy wax. IIRC, candilla wax and carnauba wax have a higher melting point than beeswax, so you may need to add a smaller amount, like maybe 1/3.

;) I did not expect that you're giving out the formula! Would love to try it soon! Really appreciate the generous help! :D

Hi, don't wanna rain on your parade but here's something to consider:
I have bought handmade rose EO soap ( as seller claims ) for roughly USD$15 a pop. Please notice it's a teeny tiny 50 gram soap. Yeah silly me!!! Only to find out it's probably not steam distilled EO, not solvent extracted Absolute, but JUST floral wax. ( absolute is extracted from cheaper floral wax )

Rain on my parade is seriously what i need. I actually thought about it all day. I wont come upon this rose again, i just can't afford it. It was amazing that something one person would throw away, another can do so much with!! I have decided to skip entirely my soap idea, and do a body butter which i have never done. I can use a beautiful Shea i have and the rose absolute infused olive oil with another couple drops of the rose itself. I can give that to my mom for Christmas, she'll love it. The people whom get my soap as gifts all the time will appreciate it way more.

I love the idea of the floral waxes, I'll have a look at those links.

I don't know any other soapers personally, so some days i just wanna chat my ideas out you know? Much appreciated!!:mrgreen:

If you want a sweet, true rose scent, use the absolute with a light hand. Speaking from experience, a small dab of rose goes a LOOOONG way. I have a bottle of rose EO diluted to about 20% in jojoba. It only takes maybe 0.1% to 0.2% of this blend in 200 to 500 mL of finished product to create a distinct, pleasant rose fragrance in my lotions and potions.

Too much rose EO in a product causes the scent to become unpleasantly heavy and chemically smelling. At first I wondered what all the fuss was about rose EO -- I was using far too much. It took awhile for the lesson to sink in -- if a rose blossom can be beautifully and strongly fragrant with only the tiniest amount of actual rose EO in the petals, then I should follow suit when dosing my lotions with rose EO.

If you want a sweet, true rose scent, use the absolute with a light hand. Speaking from experience, a small dab of rose goes a LOOOONG way. I have a bottle of rose EO diluted to about 20% in jojoba. It only takes maybe 0.1% to 0.2% of this blend in 200 to 500 mL of finished product to create a distinct, pleasant rose fragrance in my lotions and potions.

Too much rose EO in a product causes the scent to become unpleasantly heavy and chemically smelling. At first I wondered what all the fuss was about rose EO -- I was using far too much. It took awhile for the lesson to sink in -- if a rose blossom can be beautifully and strongly fragrant with only the tiniest amount of actual rose EO in the petals, then I should follow suit when dosing my lotions with rose EO.

And so maybe this is why I think I hate rose scented products. I love the scent of fresh roses, but have yet to find a rose scented anything that smells good to me. An exception might be BB's Crisp Apple Rose FO, but that is because the rose is a more delicate note. Early testing is encouraging. I keep trying to find a rose fragrance I can tolerate to use for the rose fragrance lovers in my life.

Rain on my parade is seriously what i need. I actually thought about it all day. I wont come upon this rose again, i just can't afford it. It was amazing that something one person would throw away, another can do so much with!! I have decided to skip entirely my soap idea, and do a body butter which i have never done. I can use a beautiful Shea i have and the rose absolute infused olive oil with another couple drops of the rose itself. I can give that to my mom for Christmas, she'll love it. The people whom get my soap as gifts all the time will appreciate it way more.

I love the idea of the floral waxes, I'll have a look at those links.

I don't know any other soapers personally, so some days i just wanna chat my ideas out you know? Much appreciated!!:mrgreen:

Yes your Christmas gift idea sounds lovely! It'll be a luxurious experience every time they massage it in. And if your pair it with floral wax soap, mmm... Bet them will be in floral high!

Next time your friend give you the not so empty bottle, try it with sunflower oil or jojoba oil ( more expensive, but shelf live is longer coz it's a wax ) I'm sure the Rose will be more exhibitive than in olive. ( unless you use a deodorized olive ) I even want to suggest you get perfumers alcohol and put it in the bottle and use it as perfume or room spray after empty out the olive oil. If perfumers alcohol is hard to find, try rubbing alcohol. But as a perfume, you will have to put up with the smell of rubbing alcohol before it evaporate.

And yes, shout out to online forum soaping buddies! Love it here coz I don't wanna bore my friend talking all about soap & watch them space out !
:p

Last edited:
I often use meadowfoam seed oil rather than jojoba, although I have both on hand. Meadowfoam is a long lived oil like jojoba. It has a light feel on the skin and almost no odor, so it's really nice in facial products. It's also less expensive than jojoba.

I'm really afraid this is getting too far off track, but this is the first time I've ever heard of perfumers alcohol. Would you use it to infuse herbs and flowers? How does it compare to vodka? Could you make a rose perfume by infusing rose petals in it? (I've never tried, except for when I was a mad-scientist little kid and made some moldy rose sun tea, lol)

I'm really afraid this is getting too far off track, but this is the first time I've ever heard of perfumers alcohol. Would you use it to infuse herbs and flowers? How does it compare to vodka? Could you make a rose perfume by infusing rose petals in it? (I've never tried, except for when I was a mad-scientist little kid and made some moldy rose sun tea, lol)

Aw! Rose sun tea! How cute is that minus the mold! :D
I think it's feasible. Here's a perfumer using the tincture concept infusing rose petal in vodka. I wonder how it taste like! ;)

http://www.pdxmonthly.com/articles/2013/8/19/tincture-garden-flowers-cocktails-august-2013

Only problem is the yield rate.
http://m.essentialoil.com/?url=http...com/pages/percentage-yield&utm_referrer=#2651

But since the perfumer above said it could be done, it just need extra time and replace fresh rose petals 5-6 times. If it can be tasted by taste bud, I'm sure it can be sniffed without problem.

Also I found out rubbing alcohol sold here is Ethanol. It seems its isopropyl alcohol in USA. And I actually use it as a disinfectant adding few drops of EO coz our neighbor don't mow their lawns and trim trees so we got a mice infested ( and snakes ) here. It's a yucky little story. I can't believe I have to deal with mice and snake in suburban area, I don't live in the mountains! It can double as room spray. And I don't smell the ethanol after adding EO. (5-20 drops in 500 ml ethanol )

And do you mean everclear when u said vodka? The 190ish proof one?I don't have experience with these two. But this might help. Just use " search/find in page" using everclear, perfumers alcohol coz it's kind of a long thread. And someone has post a cologne ratio in it.

lovepotion.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=4934

ETA:
Re: rubbing alcohol & perfume
Those connoisseur have a much sensitive nose than mine. No pun intended. I got stuffy nose after the home renovation.

www.basenotes.net/threads/289006-Rubbing-alcohol-is-fine-for-making-perfumes

Last edited:
Vodka isn't Everclear. Most vodka is 80 proof (40% alcohol by volume). Everclear is 151 proof or 191 proof, depending on where you buy it. Some US states (like my state of Iowa) don't allow 191 proof to be sold.

Back