Rosacea: Help!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucythecat

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have an emabarrasing problem....a constantly red red face :oops:!! I am curious if anyone has found anything that helps? I was thinking that those of you who sell might have customers with this problem and may have found ingredients that alleviate it? I am relatively new to soap making, but to give you the basics I'm using CP with a basic recipe of CO, OO, PO, RBO or Castor, and Aloe, and either Shea, Mango, or Cocoa butter (depending on the day!). Have made about 30 small batches so far and aside from my first time, things have gone well. I've been experimenting w/cream and lotion making as well. My hubby has really sensitive skin and our homemade soap has really helped him. I LOVE it too, but still have my red red problem. And of course, I'm totally addicted to soaping. I've not posted yet as I find the majority of my questions have already been asked and answered, but have found you all to be so helpful and I've learned so much by just kindof lurking behind the scenes....and owe you all so many thanks!!! Please accept my apolgy if this topic has been covered already!!

I've been to a dermatologist, and told it is Rosacea (surprise, surprise), have tried the 2 or 3 antibiotics, the metrogel cream, and have cut out the sensitizers like coffe and spicy foods. I have a really good diet, I wear sunscreen, and stay out of the sun. I'm very reluctant to go the laser surgery route because they don't tell you it's a sure thing..works for some, not all, and it's totally expensive. The only remedy I have is using green tinted makeup but I hate wearing makeup and would really like to get this thing under control....I know what I'll look like in ten years and it's not a pretty picture!!

I've heard Rosemary EO may help? And I've noticed that in creams that are sold for Rosacea in CVS that Vitamin K is included and wondered if any of you know if these things work?

ANY help, thoughts, ANY suggestions, advice would be soooooo very much appreciated. I've lived with this all my life and know what I'll look like ten years from now unless I get a handle on it.

Lucy (red) in Boston

http://wholesalesuppliesplus.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=6387

Bilberry berries contain flavonoids and anthocyanocides. Flavoids are thought to help prevent skin damage due to free radicals while anthocyanocides are thought to stimulate peripheral blood circulation and strengthen capillary blood vessel structure (common with Rosacea).

Mask powder is blue in color.

Packaging Suggestions:
Clear 2 oz Zip Pouch, Silver/Clear 2 oz Zip Pouch.

$10.00 for 0.50 lb
$18.50 for 1 lb
$49.95 for 3 lb

Additional Product Information
Directions: Use 1 oz of powder to 2 oz of warm (65º F) tap water.

Pour the water rapidly on the powder. Stir vigorously for 1 minute or until a well mixed paste is obtained.

Avoiding the eye area, apply to paste to the skin immediately. Allow mask to sit for 15 minutes. Peel off in one piece.

INCI Ingredients: Solum Diatomeae, Algin, Calcium Sulfate, Sodium Phospate, Tetrasodium Pyrophosphate, Vaccinium Myrtillus (Bilberry), Sodium Ascorbate, Parfum.

Wholesale Supplies Plus is not responsible for the products you
create from our supplies. You alone are responsible for product
and recipe testing to ensure compatibility and safety.

There is the info from the site, maybe you can look into the ingredients they use for the mask, maybe you can add the powdered elements to your CP soap recipe, I have no idea, just throwing out ideas.

Tabitha,

Thanks soooo much!! I've used WSP as a supplier for oils and butters, etc., but hadn't looked closely at their bases, etc., except to notice that their prices seem really good, and the ratings on them seem to be good.

This gives me a jumping off point for more research and perhaps I'll start with trying the mask and seeeing about adding billberry to my soaps and maybe even a cream or lotion. Yes, rosacea apparently impacts the small capilaries close to the surface of the skin and their ability to respond correctly to temperature changes so anything that helps them "work" better in theory anyway should be of help.

Thanks again!! Off to browse wsp's site. I'll be giving billberry/flavoids a try for sure and will be sure to repost if I find anything encouraging :) .

It's a new item at WSP. They are adding lots of new things each month it seems like.

Calming oils and herbs like lavender and chamomile help the redness. And there is a salon treatment (one that I used on many clients, some with rosacea, and also for calming redness after microdermabrasion treatments) called intense pulse light therapy,(IPL) that works wonderfully for not only calming redness, but it also helps stimulate collagen production. (And not only is it completely painless, it's relaxing as well.)

Hi lucythecat - I know you posted this several years ago, but I make a rosacea soap for two people and with good result. I would be happy to give you the recipe.
In the basic recipe I use app.5% Rosehip oil and I found that Rosemary in all its forms plays a big role in reducing the flaming redness. Instead of water I use a chamomile and rosemary infusion, then add rosemary powder plus a little of finely ground chamomile to the soap at trace and most importantly, finish the soap by adding a generous amount of Rosemary essential oil plus Tamanu oIl and Seabuckthorn oil.

Hi lucythecat - I know you posted this several years ago, but I make a rosacea soap for two people and with good result. I would be happy to give you the recipe.
In the basic recipe I use app.5% Rosehip oil and I found that Rosemary in all its forms plays a big role in reducing the flaming redness. Instead of water I use a chamomile and rosemary infusion, then add rosemary powder plus a little of finely ground chamomile to the soap at trace and most importantly, finish the soap by adding a generous amount of Rosemary essential oil plus Tamanu oIl and Seabuckthorn oil.

This post is from 2007. The OP hasn't been here since 2008. Not likely to get a response back. Sorry.

Perhaps not ... But the response is very helpful to the rest of us with rosecea. Thx.

My husband and I both have it rosecea. So, I was just pointing out that the OP wasn't here. In the rules we ask that old posts not always be pulled back up (especially 10 years old) but to start a new thread. Folks are less likely to read or participate in old threads.

You are certainly free to try his/her suggestion. It wouldn't be a good soap for us but but it may work for you.

Last edited:
Back