Rooto Lye Users - Please Confirm

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there! I realize this is an old post- but my lye is delayed in shipping and I’m about to go pick this up from my local Ace. I can use it the same? Thankbyou for posting this so many years ago!

Hi all, I’m looking at Rooto online and it is sometimes listed as “lye-based formula” and sometimes as “100% lye.” I know I can check the bottle but was going to order for curbside pickup - just wondering if anyone knows if these are two different products?

Just an FYI... my local Ace sells it at like $12 something a pound in the store. But online Ace sells it for $3.59. My store matched the price or I ordered online for in store pick up. It sucks for the store itself in revenue because they have to write off the loss, but the mark up was horrendous!

I've been using Rooto from Ace. We have many Ace stores in my area, and each one charges a different price for it, ranging from $3.59 to $4.59.
I've noticed a few very small black rocks here and there in the lye granules, so I've taken to straining my lye water when adding it to the oils.

If I can't see the ingredient list, I don't buy it. I couldn't find an MSDS for the 1030 Rooto Drain Cleaner, which is the one with sodium hydroxide, per the Ace Hardware & True Value sites.

The Rooto company apparently does not even have a website. Here are a few links related to Rooto, first about the product (s), then about the company:

https://www.truevalue.com/no-4-household-drain-opener-1-lbhttps://www.k-state.edu/facilities/storeroom/products/msds/Rooto Lye Drain Cleaner 016070.htmhttps://www.nationalsupplynetwork.com/store/manufacturers/681/Rooto-Corp.aspxhttps://www.fairwarning.org/2016/09/rooto-acid/
Based on the above, I am not sure I'd buy this product, but maybe one bottle and test it out. However, there was one person who reviewed the product and said the bottle had deteriorated while sitting in their garage, although I am not sure which of the products that was in reference to. However, a soapmaker's review stated that all the bottles she bought were 2 ounces short of the 16 ounces she paid for when she purchased 4 bottles.

I don't anything about Rooto, but I use Roebic lye consistently without any problems.

I’ve also started using the 100% lye Roebic that I pickup from Lowe’s. Works great and is convenient.
I must have missed this when checking websites of local stores when I needed lye in a pinch! I think I only saw their liquid drain cleaner and assumed they were both the same! I read the reviews on Lowe's and a lot of soapers use it! My favorite review... "I use this lie to make soap and the container keeps it fresh for a long time. Very re-lye-able." :) :p

If I can't see the ingredient list, I don't buy it. I couldn't find an MSDS for the 1030 Rooto Drain Cleaner, which is the one with sodium hydroxide, per the Ace Hardware & True Value sites.

The Rooto company apparently does not even have a website. Here are a few links related to Rooto, first about the product (s), then about the company:

https://www.truevalue.com/no-4-household-drain-opener-1-lbhttps://www.k-state.edu/facilities/storeroom/products/msds/Rooto Lye Drain Cleaner 016070.htmhttps://www.nationalsupplynetwork.com/store/manufacturers/681/Rooto-Corp.aspxhttps://www.fairwarning.org/2016/09/rooto-acid/
Based on the above, I am not sure I'd buy this product, but maybe one bottle and test it out. However, there was one person who reviewed the product and said the bottle had deteriorated while sitting in their garage, although I am not sure which of the products that was in reference to. However, a soapmaker's review stated that all the bottles she bought were 2 ounces short of the 16 ounces she paid for when she purchased 4 bottles.
I'm not sure about any of the lye - mentioned here to be honest. I prefer food grade lye - that way I know there's no metals in there. I have been buying from Duda Diesel for the past 3 years - before that I bought from the Lye Guy, but his shipping was really expensive!

I've always bought mine from the Hardware/Building store ( your 'Lowes' equivalent). It's only 98% pure and it's rare to find any brand that is 100%. The brand is 'Glitz' ( it's Australian but we won't hold that against it ;)) and it even says on the label - "perfect for soap making"!

Thanks! I picked some up from Ace, it was so cheap it seems worth a try. $2.99/lb, it says 100% lye but who knows. I couldn’t find a website either.

Data on Roebic: MSDA Not sure what the 1% means @ bottom? they list their lye as being 100% but it has Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Carbonate. Then 1% of a carcinogenic? not sure what that is? as I understand it they can add 1% of Toxic Substance w/ out naming what it is? maybe some one else would know?

NOTE: ALL WHMIS required information is included in appropriate sections based on the ANSI Z400.1-2010 format. This product has been classified in accordance with the hazard criteria of the CPR and the SDS contains all the information required by the CPR, EU Directives and the Japanese
4. FIRST-AID MEASURES
4.1 DESCRIPTION OF FIRST AID MEASURES:
EYE CONTACT: If product enters the eyes, open eyes while under gentle running water for at least 15 minutes. Seek medical attention if irritation persists.
SKIN CONTACT: If product contacts skin, wash skin thoroughly with soap and water after handling. Seek medical attention if irritation develops and persists.
INHALATION: If breathing becomes difficult, remove victim to fresh air. If necessary, use artificial respiration to support vital functions. Seek medical attention.
INGESTION: If product is swallowed, call physician or poison control center for most current information. If professional advice is not available, do not induce vomiting. Never induce vomiting or give diluents (milk or water) to someone who is unconscious, having convulsions, or who cannot swallow. Seek medical advice. Take a copy of the label and/or SDS with the victim to the health professional.
MEDICAL CONDITIONS AGGRAVATED BY EXPOSURE: None known
Hazardous Ingredients:
WT%
CAS#
EINECS #
Hazard Classification
Risk Phrases
Sodium Hydroxide
96-100%
1310-73-2
215-185-5
[C] Corrosive
R35
Sodium Chloride
0-2%
7647-14-5
231-598-3
[Xi] Irritant
R36
Sodium Carbonate (2:1)
0-2%
497-19-8
207-838-8
[Xi] Irritant
R36
Balance of other ingredients is less than 1% in concentration (or 0.1% for carcinogens, reproductive toxins, or respiratory sensitize.
accordance with the hazard criteria of the CPR and the SDS contains all the information required by the CPR, EU Directives and the Japanese:

I'm not sure about any of the lye - mentioned here to be honest. I prefer food grade lye - that way I know there's no metals in there. I have been buying from Duda Diesel for the past 3 years - before that I bought from the Lye Guy, but his shipping was really expensive!
I've used Roebic 100% Lye & it works great w/ no problems & in a pinch ill use it again. However I've switched to food grade Lye in that its only allowed to have Sodium Hydroxide & Sodium Carbonate to be considered food grade. is what Ive read & understand to be, but im not entirely sure.

Last edited:
Data on Roebic: MSDA Not sure what the 1% means @ bottom? they list their lye as being 100% but it has Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Carbonate. Then 1% of a carcinogenic? not sure what that is? as I understand it they can add 1% of Toxic Substance w/ out naming what it is? maybe some one else would know?

NOTE: ALL WHMIS required information is included in appropriate sections based on the ANSI Z400.1-2010 format. This product has been classified in accordance with the hazard criteria of the CPR and the SDS contains all the information required by the CPR, EU Directives and the Japanese
4. FIRST-AID MEASURES
4.1 DESCRIPTION OF FIRST AID MEASURES:
EYE CONTACT: If product enters the eyes, open eyes while under gentle running water for at least 15 minutes. Seek medical attention if irritation persists.
SKIN CONTACT: If product contacts skin, wash skin thoroughly with soap and water after handling. Seek medical attention if irritation develops and persists.
INHALATION: If breathing becomes difficult, remove victim to fresh air. If necessary, use artificial respiration to support vital functions. Seek medical attention.
INGESTION: If product is swallowed, call physician or poison control center for most current information. If professional advice is not available, do not induce vomiting. Never induce vomiting or give diluents (milk or water) to someone who is unconscious, having convulsions, or who cannot swallow. Seek medical advice. Take a copy of the label and/or SDS with the victim to the health professional.
MEDICAL CONDITIONS AGGRAVATED BY EXPOSURE: None known
Hazardous Ingredients:
WT%
CAS#
EINECS #
Hazard Classification
Risk Phrases
Sodium Hydroxide
96-100%
1310-73-2
215-185-5
[C] Corrosive
R35
Sodium Chloride
0-2%
7647-14-5
231-598-3
[Xi] Irritant
R36
Sodium Carbonate (2:1)
0-2%
497-19-8
207-838-8
[Xi] Irritant
R36
Balance of other ingredients is less than 1% in concentration (or 0.1% for carcinogens, reproductive toxins, or respiratory sensitize.
accordance with the hazard criteria of the CPR and the SDS contains all the information required by the CPR, EU Directives and the Japanese:
I believe they list it this way bc it is almost impossible to maintain purity outside of tightly controlled lab conditions. For instance, it is possible for some of the lye to interact with damp air and become sodium carbonate (like the beloved soda ash on our soap). And sodium chloride is plain old salt - something we often add to soap anyway.

So I wouldn’t worry about this disclosure of the minute amount of POSSIBLE ingredients in the lye container. I have safely soaped with it quite often myself. 😊

I believe they list it this way bc it is almost impossible to maintain purity outside of tightly controlled lab conditions. For instance, it is possible for some of the lye to interact with damp air and become sodium carbonate (like the beloved soda ash on our soap). And sodium chloride is plain old salt - something we often add to soap anyway.

So I wouldn’t worry about this disclosure of the minute amount of POSSIBLE ingredients in the lye container. I have safely soaped with it quite often myself. 😊
Thanks! I’ve been making soap since the 90s, before this wonderful forum, I just used NaOH drain cleaner back then when the internet was in its infancy (to me anyway). The dust is disconcerting though. I’ll check out the lye guy. I bought the Rooto when I didn’t want to wait for shipping.
Rooto pull-through soap was a success. 😃
A03739B3-DD15-497F-A2DD-E241DB51E9C7.jpeg

Thank you' Happy Soaping 🤗🧼💫

Thanks! I’ve been making soap since the 90s, before this wonderful forum, I just used NaOH drain cleaner back then when the internet was in its infancy (to me anyway). The dust is disconcerting though. I’ll check out the lye guy. I bought the Rooto when I didn’t want to wait for shipping.
Rooto pull-through soap was a success. 😃
View attachment 52074
Beautiful Soap' 💫🧼

Latest posts

Back