Room Temperature Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edco76

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Does anyone on here make room temp. CP soap? I just heard about it but I don't really understand. Can you let your lye/fats get to room temp and still make soap? Because to me the most tedious process of soapmaking is trying to get them both at the right temp at the right time. If anyone has any advise or can explain the differences I would really appreciate it.

We just had a thread about room temp CP. Look around a bit & I bet you will find it. I did not partisipate in the thread so I did not book mark it.

Yup, all my oils, fats, butters, and premixed 50% lye solution are at (+-) 75 degrees. If you can't find out enough from the thread Tab referred you to, I exclusively do room temp CP soap using RT everything, and will help you understand how this works well for me since I am an exclusive goat milk soap maker. I mix up and keep at any one time about 1/2 gallon of lye solution. I'll be glad to answer any questions you might have. My RTCP method is a bit different since my lye solution is room temperature too.
I'm giving a 45 minute demo next spring at the Tennessee Soap & Candle Convention of my RTCP process. I'm setting up as a vendor there too. If anyone wants any info, just PM me or I'll post a thread on it.

Paul.... :wink:

Thanks for the thread Tabitha. You are right though. There is not a whole lot of info there. I would love to know a little more about your method Soapmaker Man. I haven't used any goat milk in my soap yet though. I wouldn't even know where to get any at. What do you mean by 50% lye solution? I guess my main question would be this. Can I just use the recipe I have been using at RT? Or do I need a new one? Or is there a formula? Like "if doing RT add x amount more water or lye? Of course I wouldnt expect you to give up any trade secrets. I am just curious. I have been shooting for about 100 degrees on my lye and 105-110 on my fats. I have a hard time getting them both just right at the same time though and then I feel rushed. Any advise would be appreciated.

I also do RTCP. But I make my lye on the spot. Cant have it sitting around because of the kids.

I make a master batch (fill a 5 gallon bucket) of all my oils.
Whenever I want to make soap I would take out how much oils I needed(2lbs etc) measure the lye amount..

I dont wait really for it to cool down... just a little.. add the lye solution to the oils .. stir .. FO additves etc..

edco76 said:
Can I just use the recipe I have been using at RT?

Yes you can use the recipe in which you are using now.

Or do I need a new one? Or is there a formula?

The formula is the same way as you are making CP, but. you prepare things ahead of time.

For instance one day you can measure and mix all of your oils and butters together. And store them away.

The next day you can do your lye water for how ever much soap you want to make.

Ex. 2lbs of mixture + however much lye and water to go with the formula.

You stir and make sure your mixture of oils are still together, you then do the same steps as CP. but you dont have to wait for the lye solution to cool down. Its room temperature.

Everything is the same, its just quicker.

thats awsome, Let me run this by and make sure I'm straight. My recipe is this.
12 oz olive oil
12 oz coconut oil
10 oz soybean oil
8 oz palm oil
13 oz water by fluid oz
6 oz lye

So... I could double, tripple whatever this up. melt/ mix my oils put them in a clean bucket. Mix my lye water, let it cool a bit of course then put in a haz-mat container, like maybe an un-used gas can then break it all out at my leisure, weigh out the total weight of oils I want and lye solution, mix them all together and make soap? That would totaly rock.
1 more question.
Will the lye water be different in weight/volume after mixed? I mean when I measure it later will I just need the 13 oz of water? Or will the lye change the volume?

I guess if I was to premix my lye, I would first make a water/lye solution of what the recipe calls for. Weigh it, and write down that weight. Then make up a big batch proportionate to that. Then when I need to make soap, just weigh out what I need sized to the batch I am making.

My guess would be that the premixed lye would have to go with the oils made up for that particular recipe. To me, this would be the most accurate.

I don't exactly do room temp, but I don't muck about with making sure all temps are OK either. I mix my lye, melt my oils until they are just combining smoothly and then mix & pour.

The only recipes that I have to take more care than this with are any that have milk or cream in them - those I have to make sure that my lye is cold, oils are room temp, milk is near frozen. Every other recipe works like a charm.

Latest posts

Back