room temperature CP recipe which won't give me stearic spots

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itunu

Reaction score
I would like to try room temperature CP.

I currently try to soap at 120f to avoid stearic spots as when I have soaped below 120f I get stearic spots.

I would like to soap much cooler (room temperature but at the same time avoid stearic spots). I realise that a good recipe is key for this to work

(I usually superfat 8% and use 38% water.)

I have the following ingredients:-

olive oil
coconut oil
palm oil
rice bran oil
lard
castor oil

Would really appreciate advice on a recipe from the above ingredients which I can soap at room temperature and not get stearic spots and still have time to do swirls/marbling.

that's great, thanks so much. should I change my water %?

Should I try melting the coconut and then add the rest of the oils, then wait til it reaches RT (and lye is also at RT) and then combine?

Curious, why do you want to soap at room temp? Are you working with finicky FOs? I find that I have best control over my soap mixture at about 110 degrees although I don't measure temps that precisely anymore. If you want time to swirl, a high OO soap will give you that as will something close to full water. You should also mix your soap until just emulsified before separating and adding your colors. That will give you more time.

There are some great swirling technique videos on youtube by KBshimmer.

Good luck!

I have 4 temperature guages and they all show different temperatures!! I wanted to try RTCP so I don't have to use a temperature guage and also to try and speed up the soaping process. I'm also curious so want to try it once and see what happens.

Thanks for your help. I will try the recipe you suggested.

Can I also ask if Lard is another hard oil which can produce stearic spots (I note from soapcalc that its stearic content is much higher than palm oil?) The reason I ask is that I have tons of lard to use up.

I usually go by warm to the touch - very scientific!

My husband also has a laser temperature gauge - you point it at what you want to measure, press a button and voilá. Very handy.

Lard is chemically similar to palm and is often cited as a substitute. I don't use animal fats in my soaps so I can't speak from personal experience. My recollection is that it does not speed up trace.

Back