Rookie error or a perfect storm?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kay Kaye

Reaction score
Hi All
Newbie here. Only been soaping for a year (for family and friends only) and have made every mistake in the book so far - it's how I learn! Apologies in advance for the long post - didn't want to drip feed.

Made a CPOP batch yesterday with this recipe after running thru soapcalc:

Pomace 40%
Coconut 30%, Palm 20%
Sweet Almond 5%
Castor 5%
total oil weight 900grams
superfat 5%
Lye 33%
F.O. 30gs (added to tbsp. of Kaolin)
Na Lactate 15mls
TD 2 tsp & Micas.
Batch split into 2 250gs layers with the remainder left white. Textured top on one side only and added very small amount of mica coated Epsom Salts & Dead Sea Salt (literally a pinch of each) to decorate the top.

Silicone loaf mould inside wooden mould. Wrapped in cling film (saran wrap) with cardboard top and bottom. Oven had been on at 50Celsius and switched off on placing soap mould into oven.
Unmoulded at 24 hours and noticed small amount of sweat at one end only. Loaf left for 4 hours prior to cutting. Since slicing it has become quite wet with small visible amount of glycerin rivers near the top of the loaf only.

Initially I assumed the salt on top was exacerbating the sweating - is that a reasonable assumption?
Sliced off the salt on the top and turned on the fan in my craft room which has helped.
I live in the South West of England and it is very wet outside (for over a week). The house is not particularly warm (17-18 Celsius)
Thank you in advance for any advice & tips

Could be glycerin dew caused by the glycerin in the soap drawing moisture from the atmosphere.

Thanks all. The cut off tops with the salt on are still sweating away merrily whilst the actual bars have now stopped sweating - lesson learned. Don't play with salt when you have no idea what you're doing!

Like you're the only one of us who's ever done silly things when making soap. :D;)

Look at the bright side -- cutting off the tops solved the problem! Some of my problem soaps have had to be tossed in the trash bin.

Latest posts

Back