Rooibos Tea in Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngelMomma

Reaction score
I recently read that someone had tried using Rooibos tea as their lye water to make a CP soap. It was a really cool color. I haven't been making much soap in the last few weeks and had some free time today and wanted to try something different. I brewed 8 bags or so of the tea in scalding hot water. When I thought I had gotten all the color out of the tea that I could I removed the tea bags and cooled the water down so I could add the lye. The color actually got a bit stronger with adding the lye. It did not smell strange or burnt. But I was using an ice bath for my lye container, just in case overheating would have ruined the tea/lye solution. This is fragranced for Men and I thought it was a good strong color for that. I can't wait until I can cut it tomorrow. Good thing we are going to be busy with family stuff tomorrow :problem: so I don't cut into it too soon. Patience, Grasshopper.....Patience. I am happy I finally got to make soap!

Has anyone else tried this kind of tea in a soap?

And here are pics of the top.

2013-05-04_18-37-18_770.jpg

2013-05-04_18-37-24_349.jpg

That lots very nice! So what colors did you use?

Looks great! I've seen some other people's soap made with rooibos tea but I haven't tried it myself. I made soap with a couple of different teas like green tea and peppermint, but it's not my favorite soap. I'll have to try again sometime.

Colors

That lots very nice! So what colors did you use?

All of the soap batter was colored the brightest orange color you see with the lye/tea mixture. There is also a dark layer that is colored with a mixture of indigo and charcoal......that is what you can see a little bit of swirled on top. Then there is a layer that is the orange with a bit of Titanium Dioxide added to lighten it. You can see a line of that right up against the side of the mold.

I have used rooibos many times and I like the results. But in the end, even with a very strong tea I end up with a kind of putty brown color, just like with most botanicals. I also use a tiny bit of the tea leaves in the soap as an exfoliant. But be careful... a little goes a long way.

Rooibos tea is one of my all time fave teas! Lot's of anti-oxidants! And it acts like caffeine with out the caffeine! Now I sound like an infomercial. "Buy this tea, feel great!" lol Anyway love the color! Looking forward to seeing how it cures.

Looks beautiful! I am looking forward to seeing the cut pics!

Wow! Love the diagonal! This looks great. You did mention it was scented for men. Mind if I ask what you scented with?

That is awesome! I was in awe of the colors and the swirl on top and now even more so after seeing it cut!

Yay! I'm so glad you enjoy seeing it!

I scented it with a FO from WSP and some EO. The FO is called "Masculine Musk" and I added some Orange 5x and just a tad of Litsea to hopefully help the orange stick longer. It smells really great. Manly but fresh.

Wow...love this! Very artistic with the vertical stripe...how is this done? I'm racking my brain, and can't even begin to think of how to do it :)

Think of the layers starting from left to right. I needed to tilt the loaf mold. So I got out a regular 12 muffin size pan and placed it upside down. Then I needed something to that was non-slip to tuck under as well so that it didn't slip(I used a silicone 6-muffin pan). I set the loaf mold on top of the regular size muffin pan and tilted it so one long edge on the bottom was slightly down in between a row of the "muffins". Then under the other bottom edge(the one that is now up) I tucked the non-stick muffin pan(upside down). I practiced this with the loaf mold before starting the recipe to see if it would work and be steady. I poured in the first layer and wiped up any little drips. Then when that layer was ready I carefully spooned the black on, one spoonful at a time. Then I waited a few minutes. I wanted to be sure it was setting up. I carefully started adding about 1/3 of the third layer then slowly straightened the mold and finished adding the third layer and top. Just like with any layered soap you just want to be comfortable that your layers are firm enough to not get a breakthrough. Probably clear as mud........maybe I will get a pic when I can and post it. I just used what I had close at hand and you may have something else that works. As long as its steady you should be good.

Back