ROE Edible?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerGeorge

Reaction score
I noticed that a package of microwave popcorn I bought last week had ROE in the ingredients, so I assume it is safely edible. Does anyone have links to information on how much is safe? Can the amounts typically used for soaping-oil stability be eaten without issue? Can you taste it at that concentration?

That is a very good question, BrewerGeorge! I have avoided using my oils with added ROE for cooking because I have never looked into this. I am looking forward to any insight others may have on your questions.

I occasionally use HO sunflower oil and lard with ROE for cooking and baking. I can't smell or taste anything of the ROE at 0.5% by weight of oils.

ROE is sometimes added to raw meats instead of BHA/BHT mixes. Some people do seem to be able to detect it, although I've never gotten a meat product that tasted at all of rosemary...

It's also used in soup and stew stocks for flavor.

I'd take the herbalism claims with a grain of salt unless backed by double-blind testing, but it's used there as well.

Latest posts

Back