ROE and sodium citrate

Discussion in 'Beginners Soap Making Forum' started by Moose Wrangler, Jul 8, 2018.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Jul 8, 2018 #1

Moose Wrangler

Moose Wrangler

Moose Wrangler

Thanks to the awesome Lowes and WSP sales I have a lot of soaping oils! I can't make massive quantities of soap (much to my dismay) because I just moved and don't have friends or family in the area that can help me use up all my soap experiments. I bought ROE to help prevent rancidity in my oils.

My new home also has some lovely water that I planned to use sodium citrate in as a chelator. I've read Kevin Dunn's article that shows performance for ROE + sodium citrate is worse than ROE on its own.

I'm curious, has anyone gone ahead and used both and seen any noticeable impacts? Would the combination still be better than including neither in a recipe?

2. Jul 9, 2018 #2

penelopejane

penelopejane

penelopejane

I use ROE to extend the life of my oils. I use citric acid to reduce soap scum. I haven't got DOS yet (touch wood) but I am very careful with soap hygiene and curing.

I don't know how I could test if ROE works to extend the life of my oils.
    The CA definitely works. I'd rely on Kevin Dunn but I don't want to use EDTA and I need both the properties these additives bring to my soap.

Lion Of Judah likes this.
  3. Jul 9, 2018 #3

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

Kevin Dunn used very low amounts of chelator in his experiments -- he was researching how to reduce the chance of rancidity (DOS), not looking at how to reduce soap scum. All you can say from his experimental results is that the combo of citrate and ROE at the dosages he used, was not effective in reducing the color changes in the soap that he used as an indicator of potential rancidity.

Most of us who use citrate or EDTA are using these chemicals at higher dosages for both DOS and soap scum control. It's hard to say what his findings would have been had he used citrate at the higher dosages along with ROE. You'd have to replicate the experiment to draw any conclusions, and I don't know of anyone, besides Dunn, who has the means and the interest to do that.

You could ask Dunn for his thoughts. He's pretty good about that.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018