roasted Hatch green chiles!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hatch green chilis - great score! I too would hoard them. We did that with wild sockeye salmon that we caught, smoked and canned. That is, until the next year's run, when we'd share the old -- which were still every bit as good as the day they were canned. But now that fish is afar, and our remaining supply of last year's bounty is red gold to us.

If the companies are intentionally degrading their seals, that is a shame. So if a year from now your chilis need consuming, I'd be glad to reciprocate with something as precious. Unfortunately, probably not salmon, but maybe by then elk or huckleberry filling.

Deal!
If the companies are intentionally degrading their seals, that is a shame. So if a year from now your chilis need consuming, I'd be glad to reciprocate with something as precious. Unfortunately, probably not salmon, but maybe by then elk or huckleberry filling.

I use Tattler lids too and I agree there is a learning curve, but they do work well.

As far as how long canned good should last ... even if the seal and lid will stay good indefinitely, my rule is to use up within a couple years, no more than three. Even if older canned food is still perfectly safe, the nutrients and flavor often suffer.

I really think that is the point about Ball's recommendation about the 1 year storage life. http://www.freshpreserving.com/tools/faqs/how-long-does-canned-food-last

Last edited:
Seawolfe, from this moment forward I thank that this is how I shall picture your husband.

6429395.jpg

I use Tattler lids too and I agree there is a learning curve, but they do work well.

As far as how long canned good should last ... even if the seal and lid will stay good indefinitely, my rule is to use up within a couple years, no more than three. Even if older canned food is still perfectly safe, the nutrients and flavor often suffer.

I really think that is the point about Ball's recommendation about the 1 year storage life. http://www.freshpreserving.com/tools/faqs/how-long-does-canned-food-last
Yeah the studies show that after 3 years the flavor starts to suffer and after 5 the nutrients start to suffer..
I wouldn't trust the newer lids more than a year...take a look at the older lids and you can see why...they are much thinner.

Latest posts

Back