RIP Green Fig from Brambleberry :(

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ammanley

Reaction score
RIP to the fragrance oil Green Fig from Brambleberry! It wasn’t a fragrance I enjoyed on its own, but mixed with other floral fragrances it really made the scents come alive. It was a nice green, leafy scent, and maybe even smelled a little like soil or moss. A little went a long way, too; it was potent.

I saw it was on sale and foolishly didn’t buy more. Now it’s discontinued. I’m new to soapmaking but this was a fragrance I had hoped to include in my regular set. I’m going to get trial sizes of a bunch of other green scents from Brambleberry to see if I can find something similar. (I asked if they could recommend a substitute and was directed to their green scent family.)

Do you recommend any leafy FOs? What other fragrance oils have you had to say goodbye to?

You might want to check out Wholesale Supplies Plus, because they have several oak moss varieties. The one that is Sandalwood and Oak Moss mix has particularly great reviews. I plan on trying that out along with their single-note Oak Moss.

The Oakmoss from WSP does not smell anything like Green Fig that BB discontinued. I would suggest the Mediterranean Fig from WSP instead. It is not as green but it has that tonality as well.

If you want mossy, Absolutely Awesome Oakmoss from Oregon Trails is fabulous. They also have a Sapmoss which is very green. However, to my nose, neither smells like BB Green Fig (I just bought a small bottle of it when they were having the discontinued sale). What it does smell like to me is Tomato Leaf or Tomato Vine, more than anything else. I got a Tomato Vine from Fragrance Buddy, and to my nose, they are very close. Not identical, but very similar.

I started off with Bramble berry, BUT I left them after a couple of years because my favorite fragrances were being discontinued. First they discontinues Cranberry chutney, then they discontinued SWEET Cranberry, each year bringing in a different cranberry. I got frustrated with the process. I left Candle Science for the same reason. I discovered Fragrance Buddy. This company does NOT test in soap, but they also not discontinue products every year.

Micas and More is another company that does not have a revolving door policy on their fragrances. Micas and More is a SOAPing supplier. ALL their fragrances and micas are tested in CP before they are carried in the store. This is a small company, so the selection is not huge, but you can count on each fragrance working well in CP.

I started off with Bramble berry, BUT I left them after a couple of years because my favorite fragrances were being discontinued. First they discontinues Cranberry chutney, then they discontinued SWEET Cranberry, each year bringing in a different cranberry. I got frustrated with the process. I left Candle Science for the same reason. I discovered Fragrance Buddy. This company does NOT test in soap, but they also not discontinue products every year.

Micas and More is another company that does not have a revolving door policy on their fragrances. Micas and More is a SOAPing supplier. ALL their fragrances and micas are tested in CP before they are carried in the store. This is a small company, so the selection is not huge, but you can count on each fragrance working well in CP.
Math Ace, I posted separately, but FB is having a 25% off sale through Saturday.

Math Ace, I posted separately, but FB is having a 25% off sale through Saturday.
I love FB! I've got so many Fragrances already that I'm trying hard to be good and sit this one out! However, I really would like to get a few new fragrances because I just can't say NO!

I’m not a fan of the FO by itself, but Fig Tree from The Flaming Candle is very green and a wonderful mixer. It’s a Diptyque dupe, but I didn’t know that when I ordered it. I just went nuts ordering a bunch of fragrances that had decent reviews.

If it helps, some spilled on my rug, and my living room smelled of very green stems and foliage. Needless to say, it didn’t help me trying to get it out, but the scent grew on me enough to try mixing it. 😂

RIP to the fragrance oil Green Fig from Brambleberry! It wasn’t a fragrance I enjoyed on its own, but mixed with other floral fragrances it really made the scents come alive. It was a nice green, leafy scent, and maybe even smelled a little like soil or moss. A little went a long way, too; it was potent.

I saw it was on sale and foolishly didn’t buy more. Now it’s discontinued. I’m new to soapmaking but this was a fragrance I had hoped to include in my regular set. I’m going to get trial sizes of a bunch of other green scents from Brambleberry to see if I can find something similar. (I asked if they could recommend a substitute and was directed to their green scent family.)

Do you recommend any leafy FOs? What other fragrance oils have you had to say goodbye to?
I don’t know if anyone is watching this thread or if anyone sees it. But I found what I think is a good substitute! From Makesy, they have a scent called Fig Leaf and Galbanum. Some of the fragrance notes even match… both FOs are described as having a form of or having:

Fig (of course)
Black currant
Coconut
Leafy greens
Cedarwood
Amber

Let’s see how this goes!! Hopefully it turns out similarly in the final product.

On the fb page for scent memory there is an inspired by spreadsheet. Many are original.
For green/earthy scents for soap - the reformulated mossy Forest path is incredible. The tomato vine smells exactly like tomato leaf. It’s incredible. Palo santo is the best I have smelled. Green leaves is also very strong green scent.

To my nose, Scent Memory's Wild Fig & Cassis Type smells very much like BB Green Fig. It's definitely very green and a little earthy with only a tiny bit of fruitiness. It would be great for blending and that's probably how I will use it.
I recently used a Wild Fig and Cassis here in NZ - not sure who the US supplier is, but could likely be the same. Anyway - i really like it. It's what I call a 'grown up' fruit smell. More green and fresh rather than sweet and sickly.

Back