Ricing! What's the worst that can happen?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The main thing is to read the reviews before buying. Other soap makers will soon let you know if they have had problems with a specific FO. You can sometimes minimise the effect of ricing FOs by blending with Eos and other well-behaved FOs, but in this case I did that and it still riced very badly. So I won't be using it again - which is a shame because it smells lovely.

Here's mine and it's pretty awful, it looks like ground meat. 😔 This is my first time using Fragrance Oil (rose FO to be exact) and I was really shocked when it happened, I knew adding FOs are a bit tricky so I made a small batch to test it out, good thing I did before making a bigger batch. Will wait for it to harden and unmold, hopefully there are no lye pockets, if there are, then I have to throw it away. 😔

Any tips you guys can give once I make a bigger batch? ☺

View attachment 52676
Pretty much any floral will rice, accelerate, seize or otherwise cause a lot of problems. If you must use that fragrance again, hot process your soap. When you HP the fragrance doesn’t react with the lye, because you add the fragrance after you cook and the lye is all gone.

Will wait for it to harden and unmold, hopefully there are no lye pockets, if there are, then I have to throw it away.
:eek: Please don't throw it away. You can grate it up and rebatch it. It may not be pretty, but still usable soap. You can even add a bit more fragrance if needed, with an oz of oil for a smoother pour at the end.

OVEN REBATCH CP

Yup, any EO that contains eugenol can accelerate trace, including clove, nutmeg, cinnamon, basil and bay leaf.

Some floral EOs can accelerate just as much as floral FOs, and lavender EO can contribute to DOS (something I learned just recently).

Contrary to all the hype, EOs are highly processed chemical compounds that have significant effects on the human body. There are severely skin-sensitizing EOs, and others that are known to trigger epileptic seizures, allergic reactions, and/or migraines.

Don’t get me wrong, I love EOs and tend to use them much more often than FOs. But a responsible maker should know the constituents of each EO, and the effects of those constituents, along with the safe usage rate for each type of product. This type of knowledge is not gained from a “course” or “training” offered by any MLM company, either.

haha yes, I guess that is the best thing to do.. Are there any other ways we can work around with FOs like this? It's my first time using FO, I usually use EO since they do not misbehave. Now I'm afraid to use FOs :(
I started using FO as its cost effective and have been making soap for 20 years, now I know what this. Never have I had this problem with EO. I usually make at 4.5lb and now I scale it down to 3lb and make sure I blend blend blend at a lower temp. My FO also made my salt soap turn yellow.

I started using FO as its cost effective and have been making soap for 20 years, now I know what this. Never have I had this problem with EO. I usually make at 4.5lb and now I scale it down to 3lb and make sure I blend blend blend at a lower temp. My FO also made my salt soap turn yellow.
You have to read the reviews. I really like Nurture Soap, because they test all their fragrances on CP soap and provide testing notes.

I think I had ricing with my batch yesterday. It was a layered soap and the bottom layer was fine. The top layer just had TD and FO (3rd time making the recipe with the exact same ingredients, but it looked like it wasn't coming together and the colouring was weird. I decided just to blast it with the stick blender and it eventually thickened up, came together like a thick pudding and was fine. Rather thick no problem getting it in the mold and it looks fine now that it's out and cut.

I think I had ricing with my batch yesterday. It was a layered soap and the bottom layer was fine. The top layer just had TD and FO (3rd time making the recipe with the exact same ingredients, but it looked like it wasn't coming together and the colouring was weird. I decided just to blast it with the stick blender and it eventually thickened up, came together like a thick pudding and was fine. Rather thick no problem getting it in the mold and it looks fine now that it's out and cut.
Well, that's what they say you are supposed to do - blend the ricing out. I'm glad it worked out for you.

it was a weird process for sure and almost magical how it went from the grainy, awful looking mass into something that was smooth and unctuous looking.

Back