Ricing Remedy?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I seem to have a couple of "can't do without" fragrances that rice. I hate them! But my customers love them. I understand that some of the problem is my favorite formula for these particular customers is a little high on butters...and some fragrance particles attach themselves to those butters. Bramble Berry says that if you add the same amount of oil from your batch to the fragrance and heat it it would give you a little more time to get it into the mold. Does anyone know if this works? Or are some fragrances just impossible!

I've never heard of this trick, but hopefully someone else can provide some feedback if they have. I will try it the next time I use one of my ricing fragrances.

Some I have found are impossible to work with (my recipe is also high in hard oils) I have tried that technique and it didn't make a difference in my case. I've just learned to save those FOs for non soaping applications. I completely feel you ricing is incredibly frustrating! Edited to say, you can try to hot process with those.

I mix my fragrance with a few tablespoons of base oils on a lot of accelerating fragrances. I don't know if it helps a lot but it does help some. I think it is because the fragrance temp is closer to the base oil temps and is easier to incorporate. My best idea for ricing fragrances is to whisk them in while pouring the FO into the pot in a thin smooth stream. I think that the biggest issue is the surface interaction and if you are whisking and pouring slowly then most of the fragrance oil gets whisked into the batter before it has time to sit on the batter surface. It won't eliminate all ricing but it will on some fragrances.

Thank you lucycat! I appreciate your response! Whisking while pouring is pretty much the way I try to handle accelerating fragrances too, but I've never tried mixing it with base oils first. I'm anxious to try it! If it can give me just a little bit of time, I would love it!

Back