Ricing, is now all lost?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChristyTen

Reaction score
Hello group, I had a batch rice on me something wicked and I can't reprocess it for several reasons.
What happens if it's just in the mould and done saponifying?
Is it a lost cause, will it look funky but be useable?

You will just have to wait and see. I do suggest you put your mold in a catch container in case the oils separate out as can happen with riced soap. When working with severely rices batter you really need to keep working with it until it comes together. Many times covering the batter container and letting it sit awhile will start it heating up and you can stick blend it back together. Alternate letting it rest and stick blending until it reasonably stays together. Can I ask why you cannot hp it? It could be your only way if it separates and then you want to get all the batter/oils in the pot

Need to go away and am physically not near my soap now.
Thank you for the fast answer.

It looked a bit bobbly on top, would that just saponify and look funky you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a batch rice on me last week, after messing with it for an hour I finally gave up and mashed it back into the mold. I unmolded it and it has some wet spots (but not zappy) so I am letting it sit to see if they soak in. I will probably attempt a rebatch (because heaven forbid I throw away soap) later. The soap is the bumpiest ugliest thing I have ever seen. Chin up and move on, right?

Fragrance oil has been the culprit for me as well. I once had a batch that riced so badly I couldn't get it back together. I tried stick blending it to submission, let it sit then stick blended it some more. I then threw it in a pot over low heat and it still would not come together. I ended up leaving it in the bucket for about 3 weeks. It finally got just solid enough to toss.

Fragrance oil has been the culprit for me as well. I once had a batch that riced so badly I couldn't get it back together. I tried stick blending it to submission, let it sit then stick blended it some more. I then threw it in a pot over low heat and it still would not come together. I ended up leaving it in the bucket for about 3 weeks. It finally got just solid enough to toss.

Yikes! Do you remember what the fragrance oil was? I'd like to avoid that one for sure!

Well I just cut this and all these tiny lumps. Is this ricing??? I have never experienced it before
IMG_1520010664.138236.jpg

Not true ricing. False trace looks like trace. Ricing looks like something entirely odd with the lumpiness and separation.
ok, good to know that one is not related to the other. Just when you think you mastered a soap.....no matter how many years I will have under my belt, soap making was keep me on my toes forever.

Last edited:
I agree that if it riced you never would have gotten swirls like that.

What do you cut your soap with? My wire cutter sometimes gives that affect.

Piano wire single cutter

That's a very pretty soap. What colors did you use?

Brambleberry peach mica
Crafters choice sunset orange mica
Crafters choice orange salsa mica
And of course titanium dioxide

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back