Rice soap with white spots

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cascarral

Reaction score
Hello! Anyone know what these white spots could be? It has lots of them and then that weird change of color that makes it whiter in the top.

Recipe: Canola, Olive, Coconut and Castor oils.

Rice porridge added with the lye

Colored with anatto rhubarb infusion for the orange and rhubarb powder for the dark red, the rest without colorants.

Scented with patchouli and lemongrass

Cut at 16 hours with wire cutter. Soaped at room temp because this rice + eo blend has accelerated in the past.

Some of the spots look like air bubbles but not sure all of them are. Maybe stereatic spots? Rice that didn't blend? or cut too soon?

Attachments

• 123266787_10157880139648857_2863001939389608866_o.jpg
    123266787_10157880139648857_2863001939389608866_o.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 123491518_10157880146693857_6569228621304141060_n.jpg
    123491518_10157880146693857_6569228621304141060_n.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 53
Given your recipe of mostly soft oils, if the rice porridge wasn’t completely smooth and liquid, then it’s bits of rice. Rice doesn’t saponify. Air bubbles another possibility but that’s an excessive number so would indicate a problem with stick blending. I don’t know what you mean by weird color change at the top....ash? (The picture isn’t very clear on my screen)

Given your recipe of mostly soft oils, if the rice porridge wasn’t completely smooth and liquid, then it’s bits of rice. Rice doesn’t saponify. Air bubbles another possibility but that’s an excessive number so would indicate a problem with stick blending. I don’t know what you mean by weird color change at the top....ash? (The picture isn’t very clear on my screen)

Thank you for your notes :) It looks white on top but the rest of the soap is yellow (I'm guessing the rice porridge scorched it?) But it confuses me why it has this whiter spot, maybe it scorched while being on the mold and the upper part didn't heat that much since it wasn't insulated.

Thank you for your notes :) It looks white on top but the rest of the soap is yellow (I'm guessing the rice porridge scorched it?) But it confuses me why it has this whiter spot, maybe it scorched while being on the mold and the upper part didn't heat that much since it wasn't insulated.

You know - that's really a good theory. Also - I wonder if the rice porridge was heavy and dropped to the bottom of the the batter. That bottom portion would have ended up on the top of your soap with the higher concentration of rice making it whiter. Is the whiter part smoother than the part below? Can you detect any little bits in it?

You know - that's really a good theory. Also - I wonder if the rice porridge was heavy and dropped to the bottom of the the batter. That bottom portion would have ended up on the top of your soap with the higher concentration of rice making it whiter. Is the whiter part smoother than the part below? Can you detect any little bits in it?
Actually the white is almost gone know and more white spots appeared in it's place.

This happened to me all the time when I first started making rice milk soap. It’s likely rice bits, although it could be stearic spots. Rice is crazy starchy and nearly impossible to fully liquify. You have to reallllllllyy strain it through cheesecloth.

This happened to me all the time when I first started making rice milk soap. It’s likely rice bits, although it could be stearic spots. Rice is crazy starchy and nearly impossible to fully liquify. You have to reallllllllyy strain it through cheesecloth.
oooh! Thanks for sharing! Do you boil it or how do you use it?

oooh! Thanks for sharing! Do you boil it or how do you use it?
I soak the rice overnight in water. In the morning, I drain (but not rinse) it, dump it in the blender with filtered or distilled water, and blend until it's as liquidy as possible. I then strain it through cheesecloth, and freeze into cubes. It's still never 100% smooth, but it's smooth enough that no one notices or minds. Rice milk by far gives me the creamiest lather out of all the milks I've tried. It's the best.

When I make my rice soap the pureed soap is a thick liquid when you look at it, but when I put it on my face (makes a nice mask, really!) I do still feel bits of very soft rice. So far, no problems in the actual soap. Not sure if it makes a difference that I HP mine...

You're right though, some do look like stearic spots and some do look like air bubbles.

I need to get myself some rhubarb, that color is so nice!

Back